Final Cut Pro 7 & RS-422 Deck Control

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by waddington01274, Jan 15, 2014.

1. waddington01274 macrumors newbie

Hi, can anyone recommend a make (preferably Sony) & model of CD/DVD player with compatible RS-422 deck control support (connection) so that I can log & capture more precisely than doing it manually in Final Cut Pro 6/7 via Blackmagic Ultrastudio 3D Thunderbolt connection and am using a 8TB G-RAID with Thunderbolt connection as to capture and render audio & video media.

2. mBox macrumors 68020

You want a CD/DVD player with RS422 controls?

Ive been around a long time I dont think Ive ever seen one.

DVCAM, VHS, SVHS, BETA, BETASX, XDCAM, etc...

But not CD/DVD player.

Im intrigued.

3. mBox macrumors 68020

To add, the nature of capturing from optical is a bit cumbersome.
    In past pro-house they would dump to a digital linear tape then use that deck to acquire from.
    Saves the headache since DVD was hard to control frame by frame.
    DVD codec and its old clunky bit handling :p

4. pwhitehead macrumors 6502

pwhitehead

With just having a cd or a dvd player, your going to run into a small problem. Yes you can capture from a cd/dvd player to Final Cut with any kind of media you want, but you need to have a firewire 4-pin out so you can use it going firewire into your mac computer.

In this image i have a dv deck with a firewire 4-pin out. Here (image 1)

And this image i get my connection from the device to my mac with a firewire 800 on the other side. Here (image 2)

You can use thunderbolt if need be, they have firewire to thunderbolt adapters. If you don't have a dvd player with a dv 4pin out you can use a video dvc tape deck and use component cables going out of the dvd/cd player going into the deck (daisy chaining) and get your signal that way. Hope this helps ;)

5. mBox macrumors 68020

also keep in mind that DVD and precision frame by frame control dont exist.
    the GOP formatting on that codec is brutal and at times impossible to stop on a dime :p