Final Cut Pro and New iMac - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lsmacuser, Mar 4, 2009.

1. lsmacuser macrumors newbie

I have to buy a new Mac this today. I will be using the iMac for most usual applications, but it will be Final Cut Pro that places most demands on the iMac.

Will Final Cut Pro run on the new low end 24inch with the shared graphics card?

Or would I be better to buy the clearance model iMac - 24inch with the ATI Radeon HD2600-256 card? This model is $1399.00 in the Apple Clearance section.

Or, should I invest the $1800.00 for the new higher end 24inch with the better Nvidea graphics card?

2. lsmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

3. megastuff999 macrumors member

Check the specs online or call Apple. On the spec it says not compatible with integrated Intel graphics - nothing about nVidia so there's a good chance the existing version of Final Cut Pro (6) will be fine with the new 9400M iMacs.

It is worth considering also that the new version of Final Cut will probably be released shortly and you may want to safeguard against your new iMac running that. I'd be surprised if it didn't but with Apple's track record for odd choices at present, I'd never bet against it.

4. mudenza macrumors regular

If you can't wait for the benchmarks, go for the GT 120/130 or 4850. Unless they overclock the 9400M or something, it is not the spec to go for.

If you're looking into Motion 3 and Color, then definitely go for the better spec'd cards.

5. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Apparently the ATi cards are the better choice for the above applications due to ATi's better drivers/architecture