Final Cut Pro and Pro Tools Integration?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SRSound, Feb 8, 2008.

1. SRSound macrumors 6502

Hello all,
    I searched the forums for a while hoping to find current first hand experience with my question, but since nothing came up...

What is the best way to use PT with FCP? I use Pro Tools day in and day out and would love to be able to directly integrate audio with a few small video projects that are in FCP (no avid). Does anyone have experience with this, or tips for the best way to go about it?

Thanks so much

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I know you can export multiple tracks of audio from an FCP project to OMF to import into Pro Tools, but FCP is really designed to go back and forth with Soundtrack Pro, not Pro Tools. Soundtrack Pro is designed to do conforms and whatnot, whereas you'll have to do them manually in your Pro Tools project if you make edit changes in FCP.

Don't have any experience with PT myself though, so I can't really give too much guidance more specific than that.

3. SRSound thread starter macrumors 6502

My hope was Pro Tools could be integrated as easily as Soundtrack - it is really amazing what apple does with their own products in terms of intercommunication and integration; I just want to use a non-apple product too.

I was thinking the easiest way to do it might be to have both the FCP and PT sessions open simultaneously while I make edits on both systems according to timecode. I was hoping there was a better option, but PT is so far superior to Soundtrack Pro (from my experience with the two and Logic Pro) that it might be easier to operate the two programs side by side.

Ideas for better integration are welcome!

4. prestonkd macrumors member

prestonkd

Automatic Duck

I think this may be my first post though I have been reading here for the past nine months waiting on the new Mac Pro. Hooray! I have FCP sitting here beside me but I have no Apple computer. My Mac Pro is on the way. I do audio and video and am in the process of switching from PC to Mac. I have used PT for years but have been using Avid for video. I am looking forward to the integration with STP for quick and simple things but I also prefer PT for serious audio editing. From my research the best way to do this is with Automatic Duck. They have videos on their website showing import of FCP audio into PT. A little pricey at $500 but still cheaper than DVToolkit. Hope that helps.