Final Cut Pro/Express Compatibility

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gbriker, Oct 15, 2009.

1. gbriker macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be started a documentary project soon, that I'm using Final Cut for. Here's the problem:
    I have Final Cut Express at home on my laptop, while my school only has Final Cut Pro.
    Will I be able to open the files interchangeably? Through XML?

Also, assume that both systems are being run on the most current versions (Express 4 and Pro 6 or 7 I believe).

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

According to Wiki (I know, not a reliable resource):
    Final Cut Express 4 is not compatible with the newest version of Final Cut Pro (FCP 7).

So one may deduce. that FCE 4 is compatible with FCP 6, but you could find out for yourself by creating two different projects in FCE and FCP with its own media, and then exchange those projects between FCE and FCP.

And then exchange them again, to see if it worked.

That's what I would do, if I can't get any answers via the wet wild world (or other internet services).

3. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

I had FCE 4, and now I have been using FCP 7, and I have been able to open, edi, exports projects I made in FCE 4. As long as you point FCP 7 to the right location where your FCE 4 project files are at on a hard drive, it will open right up. At least that was my experience.