Final Cut Pro - files wont relink

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by yolatechno, Dec 18, 2013.

1. yolatechno macrumors newbie

I've got an FCP project on teh go, and my harddrive with teh video files died. I plugged in the backup, but for some reason nothing is relinking... Even though all the file names are the same, I'm getting a message "unspecified path".

Anyone know what this could be??

2. thaboz macrumors newbie

3. yolatechno thread starter macrumors newbie

4. thaboz macrumors newbie

Relink

Easiest way is to relink the files, in FCP 7 go to [Edit] in the menu bar and select [Reconnect Media] then look at the first files, make sure you browse to the drive and select the clip with the same name on the external drive, after this it might/will find files in the same directory (otherwise select all files manually, bit of a pain but I've had to do it multiple times in the past, should not take you more than a hour max.) When all files are selected select relink and that should do it. Let me know if you have any issues.

zijlstra:apple:me.com

5. yolatechno thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! However, finding the files is not the problem - when I click reconnect media it sees them, but after I select them a notice comes up saying "unspecified path"...

6. thaboz macrumors newbie

7. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

You could try either exporting an XML of the sequence and importing that into a new blank project to reconnect, or creating an offline version of the project from the media manager, and then try reconnect.