Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deafanimator

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2007
My plan that I will purchase a brand new MacbookPro 15". I will do heavy HD video edting the final cut pro and do some animation. I am on tight budget to buy MacbookPro. I review the requirement FCP that it require least 256memory ram videocard and it did say require least 17" MacbookPro the correct color and resouliton size. I am thinking about external second 24" LCD monitor for viewing at home office. Other wise the mbp will use on road or at motel..

Have any one use FCP with their brand new MBP the 2.4ghz or 2.53GHZ ??.. I will say thanks for feedback so it will help me to determine which will fit my need.:)

I know next few months the new MBP 17" will be replace and possible Quad 4 with blueray or other fancy stuff. It will be probably pricey too.:apple:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
As far as I understand, with heavy HD video editing especially in Pro Apps like Final Cut Pro, it's a case of the more power you've got the better. I would advise to wait until the 17" MB Pro if you can afford it. Otherwise get the 2.53 if your budget is tight and get the faster hard drive. But I'm no expert in HD editing.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If you're getting an external anyway, then you should be fine with a 15".

The 256MB VRAM is the recommended amount for Color, 128MB is recommended amount for Motion. 256MB VRAM is NOT the minimum spec for the entire FCS, you can run the entire suite on less.

I don't think the clock speed of 2.4 vs. 2.53 GHz is all that big a deal. If you can afford the top of the line 17" by all means go for it. But it's not going to be night and day between that and a 2.4 GHz 15".

Someone else can chime in on whether even more VRAM (512MB) helps with Color, I am guessing it doesn't make that much of a difference with the other FCS apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.