Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated Final Cut Pro, its video editing software for professionals, to version 10.4.3, introducing minor new features and a few bug fixes.

The new update introduces support for viewing and editing ProRes RAW files from the DJI Inspire 2 drone with the DJI D-log setting, which is the only new feature that Apple listed in its software release notes.

final-cut-pro-x-10-4-1-prores-raw-800x471.jpg

The update also addresses a bug that could cause deleting unused render files from a Compound clip in the browser not to work, and it fixes an issue that resulted in some Panasonic P2 video files being imported with mixed-down audio channels.

Today's 10.4.3 update to Final Cut Pro comes one month after 10.4.2, another minor bug fix update, and more than two months after the release of Final Cut Pro 10.4.1, a major update that introduced a new ProRes RAW format, new closed captioning tools, and enhanced tools for exporting files.

Final Cut Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $299.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Final Cut Pro Gains Support for Editing RAW Files From DJI Inspire 2 Drone

Psychilles

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
The Netherlands
Will be after Mojave comes out in Autumn.
What makes you say that?

I've had some email contact with Jud Coplan from the Video Apps Product Marketing team and he said:
As of today, Final Cut Pro X does not support general performance improvements with eGPU beyond the configurations I mentioned earlier. That being said, if you connect a second display to your eGPU while using Final Cut Pro X, the video output to that display will use the external graphics card. This allows the internal GPU on your 13” MacBook Pro to be dedicated to app performance — including rendering and playback.

We know that broader eGPU performance enhancements are important to our users, and I really appreciate you sending the additional information. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Quite general Apple style avoiding answer.

e1me5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Cyprus
What makes you say that?

I've had some email contact with Jud Coplan from the Video Apps Product Marketing team and he said:

I don’t have any intel about it but think about it. Remember the demo at this year’s keynote with Premiere and Resolve using multiple eGPUs in Mojave and the improvement in their speed? Why would Apple showcase third party apps utilising the updated eGPU feature and FCPX be left out? Especially when FCPX is so well written to utilise the most of hardware. Pro apps usually take more or less a year to implement new features of maOS. So I strongly believe that 10.5 will come out after the public release of Mojave and implement an advanced utilisation of eGPUs.

EndersShadow

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2016
Venice
I don’t have any intel about it but think about it. Remember the demo at this year’s keynote with Premiere and Resolve using multiple eGPUs in Mojave and the improvement in their speed? Why would Apple showcase third party apps utilising the updated eGPU feature and FCPX be left out? Especially when FCPX is so well written to utilise the most of hardware. Pro apps usually take more or less a year to implement new features of maOS. So I strongly believe that 10.5 will come out after the public release of Mojave and implement an advanced utilisation of eGPUs.

Yeah, it should come out in 10.5

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003

It’s not a new feature.
They had egpu working on FCPX10.3.4.
Looks to have been purposely removed in 10.4.
That’s what’s frustrated a lot of us users, and Apple’s refusal to acknowledge what they’ve done.

Reactions: Kurri

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
WHat i’d like to know is when will Apple make a version of Final Cut for the ipad pro? Been nearly 3 yrs since the ipad pro was first released, and still no Final Cut? Come on Apple. If you’re gonna call it a pro device & charge “pro” prices...you gotta start acting like it is!

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon

Apple today updated Final Cut Pro, its video editing software for professionals, to version 10.4.3, introducing minor new features and a few bug fixes.

The new update introduces support for viewing and editing ProRes RAW files from the DJI Inspire 2 drone with the DJI D-log setting, which is the only new feature that Apple listed in its software release notes.

final-cut-pro-x-10-4-1-prores-raw-800x471.jpg

The update also addresses a bug that could cause deleting unused render files from a Compound clip in the browser not to work, and it fixes an issue that resulted in some Panasonic P2 video files being imported with mixed-down audio channels.

Today's 10.4.3 update to Final Cut Pro comes one month after 10.4.2, another minor bug fix update, and more than two months after the release of Final Cut Pro 10.4.1, a major update that introduced a new ProRes RAW format, new closed captioning tools, and enhanced tools for exporting files.

Final Cut Pro can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $299.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Final Cut Pro Gains Support for Editing RAW Files From DJI Inspire 2 Drone

Does Apple even make a computer that can handle editing RAW files that costs less than $10,000?

Reactions: Ragnar51

hick9

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2011
That might be true .. but doesn't your Inspire 2 have the Zenmuse X7 Camera? That was only updated via a firmware update to ProRes RAW in April of 2018. So it has taken Apple 2 months to update. It might have been ready earlier but it makes no sense to update FCPX immediately for that single feature when you have a scheduled bug fix release coming anyway.
[doublepost=1529639096][/doublepost]
WHat i’d like to know is when will Apple make a version of Final Cut for the ipad pro? Been nearly 3 yrs since the ipad pro was first released, and still no Final Cut? Come on Apple. If you’re gonna call it a pro device & charge “pro” prices...you gotta start acting like it is!

I agree. And even though it's iMovie-like, the upcoming release of Adobe Project Rush is something Apple should have had with FCPX a long time ago on the iPad Pro. It should have been one of the feature's to drive sales of the product.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest

This is a no-brainer. It'll will include full integration and optimization system-wide.
[doublepost=1529641475][/doublepost]
What makes you say that?

They have built teams for designing around workflows. This approach does take more than a few quarters to deliver the desired improvements.

browncow781

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2018
Does Apple even make a computer that can handle editing RAW files that costs less than $10,000?
Have you looked into ProRes RAW? The idea is that it requires the same power to edit as standard ProRes flavours. And FCPX cuts ProRes like butter. I reckon you could cut ProRes RAW on a MacBook Air

Reactions: bopajuice

Psychilles

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
The Netherlands
This is a no-brainer. It'll will include full integration and optimization system-wide.
[doublepost=1529641475][/doublepost]

They have built teams for designing around workflows. This approach does take more than a few quarters to deliver the desired improvements.

After reading that Techcrunch article I also got the feeling they were experimenting with eGPU setups like crazy at Apple. So you might be right. In that case it will probably coincide with the release of the new Mac Pro, a version of Final Cut with heavy eGPU support.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.