Final Cut Pro - ghost artifact

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Elvis74, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Elvis74 macrumors newbie

how to resolve this problem?

click to zoom:
    [​IMG]

thanks

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

What is your source material?

3. Elvis74 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm Italian.
    images come from an Italian television.
    Can you help me regarding my problem?
    thanks

4. kristiankettner macrumors newbie

5. Elvis74 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is deinterlacing i know.
    but can you tell me something inherent to deinterlacing in Final Cut Pro?
    tnx

6. advres Guest

advres

When you're parked on the frame it is showing both fields in the frame. When you play it will play correctly. Do you WANT to deinterlace it or do you feel you NEED to?

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think he wanted to know the exact specifications of the footage (codec, frame rate, etc.,). What are your sequence settings? Does the footage look normal if you play it outside of FCP?

Lethal

8. Elvis74 thread starter macrumors newbie

my source:
    [​IMG]

to import my clips in FCP and use MPEG Streamclip converts the clips to Apple Intermediate Codec...

[​IMG]

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Thanks for the screen grabs. Few more questions though.

When you play the original file in QT Player does it have the same problem? When you play the AIC file in QT Player does it have the same problem?
    What are your timeline settings in FCP?
    If you have FCP 6 or later I'd suggest using ProRes instead of AIC. It's a better codec and AIC used to have problems properly converting interlaced footage from what I remember. Have you tried using the "lower" field setting in MPEG Streamclip?
    Ultimately, what is it that you want to do with the footage (make DVDs, upload to YouTube, keep digital copies for your own use, etc.,)?

Lethal

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What would be the best ProRes codec settings to use, if one gets "footage" from a video DVD (MPEG-2) or any other of those fantastic sources like YouTube?

I always used AIC, but since you mentioned ProRes codec being a better deal several times in the past in this sub-forum, I used ProRes the last time, but as I'm not fluent with it, I used the ProRes 444 codec, which is surely overkill.

(I got MPEG-2 footage from some camcorder, transcoded it with MPEG Streamclip to ProRes 444, cut something together and exported the sequence with the Apple DV codec, thus someone else could use it in ... wait for it ... Ulead Media Studio Pro for preparing it for some stage program. Not really legendary - I got my first capture card with Ulead, the Fast AV Master 2000, and immediately got Premiere 5 after I opened Ulead the first time.)

11. advres Guest

advres

I use 422 for almost everything I do. 4444 has alpha so the files are huge. proxy shows minimal difference over 422 and greatly reduces the size. That would be ideal if you want to go through an offline/online process. Since size is not an issue for my situation I just go with 422 for everything.

YMMV.

12. Elvis74 thread starter macrumors newbie

QT makes me see interlaced video ...

[​IMG]

Timeline settings ... they say ...?

[​IMG]

I own Final Cut Pro 7.0.2

13. advres Guest

advres

Your source is interlaced, your mpeg streamclip says it is upper-field dominance and your timeline shows no field dominance. Delete the clip from your timeline, Hit Apple+0 to open your sequence settings and change it to "upper" for field dominance. Then drop your clip back on the timeline and see if that helps.

If you want to work without fields in FCP, you should do that when you transcode in mpeg streamclip.

14. Elvis74 thread starter macrumors newbie

:confused:I did not understand very well.
    I'm Italian and my English is at school level:eek:

15. Elvis74 thread starter macrumors newbie

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Trying creating a new sequence, then go to Sequence->Settings in the top menu bar, to open up your Sequence settings. Under the first tab go to "field dominance" and choose "upper". Now put a clip in the timeline and see if it looks any better.

Lethal