Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigkill-9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Background:
I'm a college student enrolled in a digital video and media class in which we use Final Cut Pro 5.0.2. I'm disabled and cant spend countless hours in the mac labs doing homework, which is why I purchased a G5 2.0Ghz DP with two 250 gig hd's, 3.5gb ram, and a 256mb ATI Radion vid card.

My original idea was to purchase Final Cut Express, which is allot cheaper than Pro, for home use and use Final Cut Pro HD when at school.

I asked my instructor today if FC Express will allow me to open and edit FC Pro 5 file(s) and visa versa. He said he didnt know, which is why I am here posting.

Question:
Can I open and edit the same file(s) in between Final Cut Pro 5.0.2 and Final Cut Express?

Thanks in advance.

nks06

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
as far as I know no... I was going to do the same thing :(
kind of frustrating :(

kjwebb

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Australia
The issue is that you are going across different versions of FC. Pro and Express also have different plugins.

You will find that Final Cut Express 3.5 files will open in Final Cut 6, but not vice versa. Not sure about the compatibility between FCE 4 and FCP 6.

HunterGather

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
wait wait...
i was under the impression that you could open FCE projects in FCP (but not the other way around, obviously).

Someone please confirm! Without me googling n stuff.

I've been working on a project in Final Cut Express with the intent to eventually finish it in FCP later on....
Please don't tell me all the editing and synching I did was for (so to speak) nothing..

EDIT:
Worst case scenario, could I just cut and paste the videos/audio in my timeline from FCE to FCP?
I haven't done any effects or anything now. My current project simply involves ALOT of synching videos to an audio track (its a concert with footage from dozens of concert goers).

ShootNStarz

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2008
Berkeley, CA
Using FCP with Two "Versions:

Background:
I'm a college student enrolled in a digital video and media class in which we use Final Cut Pro 5.0.2. I'm disabled and cant spend countless hours in the mac labs doing homework, which is why I purchased a G5 2.0Ghz DP with two 250 gig hd's, 3.5gb ram, and a 256mb ATI Radion vid card.

My original idea was to purchase Final Cut Express, which is allot cheaper than Pro, for home use and use Final Cut Pro HD when at school.

I asked my instructor today if FC Express will allow me to open and edit FC Pro 5 file(s) and visa versa. He said he didnt know, which is why I am here posting.

Question:
Can I open and edit the same file(s) in between Final Cut Pro 5.0.2 and Final Cut Express?

Thanks in advance.

Check with BOTH programs to see if they Import/Export XML files (File Menu)
if FCE does or BOTH DO, YOU MAY (emphasize MAY) be able to save everything in your project file in the correct program format and then after saving, Select All, and Export to an XML file. Take that XML file to the other program and IMPORT the XML file and then immediately Save it as that programs working file. Work on it there, Save everything, Select Everything and EXPORT it as an XML file. Naming XML project files for the right program both FCE vs FCP5 may get confusing, so pay attention to dates and times and write them down.

FCP may load the FCE files directly, so that the FCE belng able to IMPORT XMLs may be the core issue.
Cannot swear that this will work, but it may be worth a try.

ShootNStarz: cool:

spherico

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2008
Germany
There is no "XML Import Option" within FCE.
But you may try the old trick to "cmd-opt" drag the the FCP XML to the FCE program icon. That worked at least with elder versions of FCE.

Andreas

ceembee

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
FCE XML import

Hi, I just had this problem myself - FCE 4.0 has an option under import called FCP XML from imovie. I used it to import a time line built in FCP 6 and so far so good! An error message came up saying "non essential errors' but I have not yet tracked down what they are - everything looks good to me.

Carol

ceembee

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
oops to clarify

Sorry I should clarify that the timeline was saved as an XML file from FCP 6 emailed over and then imported. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.