Final cut pro help - get just ONE colour to show in a shot, urgent!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by TheSVD, Apr 14, 2009.

1. TheSVD macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

Hey guys, im currently editing my coursework with FCP.
    The film was shot in colour, and i have made it all black and white.
    There is one shot, however where a silhouette is smoking a ciggarette in front of a TV. As the person drags on the ciggarette, i love the orange glow it gives out! Is there any way to have that shot completely desaturated, apart from the orange glow of the ciggarette?
    FCP noob here btw :eek:
    Thanks guys, would appreciate help pronto cause i wanna get this done tonight :D

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Google "final cut pro pleasantville effect" and you'll get a ton of hits outlining how to do that.

Lethal

3. Arizona macrumors newbie

Within finalcut pro you can use two methods probably best to use in combination.

One is the Effects/Key/Chroma keyer to color out as much of the color without losing the orange.
    The other is a Four-point-matte or Eight-point matte to discard all the particles that still have color that cannot be deleted with the keyer without losing the orange.

If the area's overlap you can use Motion if you have it to make a more advanced matte then the 4 or 8 points matte and adjust that per frame over time if needed to discard colors of certain areas and keep the orange on other parts.

Hope that helps.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

^no no no

it's a very simple effect... no mattes involved.

3-way color corrector, isolate the color you want with the eye dropper, click the checkbox for "invert", then drag saturation to 0.

5. TheSVD thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheSVD

yep, the first guys post helped and you ^ were right, thats how i did it :)
    Worked like a frickin charm, and i will genuinely get more marks for doing that. hehehe :D
    Thankyou! :)