Final Cut Pro> I need the movie smaller than the canvas.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Kinowin, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Kinowin macrumors newbie

Hi there.
    I made a flash banner using Final Cut Pro and wanted the video to be more rectangular than just a square box as it appears. I cropped the finished movie to my liking, etc. And I exported it as a .mov file. But I'm still left with all the black from the canvas.

Could any one tell me how to remove it so I just have the banner?
    Thanks. =)

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

You need to change the resolution of the video when you export to the size of the banner. In the export window (I'm guessing you're using QT conversion?) there should be a place that says the video frame size (You are probably looking for 720x480 or something along those lines).

As a side note, if the banner is for a website, making a .mov file for that is probably the worst way you could do it. You might want to make an animated gif image or something.

P-Worm

4. phiberglass macrumors 6502a

phiberglass

Yea, if it's any kind of banner used for the web I would go with flash or a GIF.

5. Kinowin thread starter macrumors newbie

It's being used for the web.
    I converted the .mov to a .swf file before uploading it to the web.

6. VideoTour macrumors newbie

I constantly create video-based banners for our web pages, and discovered the real secret is creating a sequence with custom settings to the exact vert:horiz ratio you need.
    Our video banners are 720:233, so that's my sequence dimension.
    As I add any elements (video clips, motion graphics, still images, titles) I simply size everything to look right in the viewer. Note that FCS2 will ask if you'd like to match your sequence settings to the first video you put on the timeline. Say "No."
    Render, export using Compressor in your selected format, and you're there.

7. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

Motion settings

Use the Motion settings on the clip you are trying to adjust. You can Scale the video under 100% to shrink it. Or use Crop.