Final Cut Pro - new version ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by meakinsl, Sep 17, 2008.

1. meakinsl macrumors newbie

Hello,

Been doing a bit of filming and so far been using a PC with Sony Vegas,
    recently went on doc filming course where using imacs and final cut pro.

Am very tempted to switch across as just about to edit my first documentary
    (have about 15hrs footage to make 1 hr doc) and been pricing up cost on
    switch (my pc needs replacing anyway).

I find the cost of final cut studio prohibitive, sony vegas (which is no doubt
    not as good as Final Cut Pro in many eyes) is £60 but for Final Cut Studio
    the apple store has it for £850 - amazon.co.uk has it for £680 - strange
    how the makers charge more than amazon but still expensive at 680 pounds.

Am still tempted if I can negotiate a deal with apple especially as will be
    buying top of the range imac at same time but what I didn't want to do
    is fork out that much to find a new version is just around the corner.

Does anyone know the longevity of final cut studio 2 / final cut pro 6 - are
    there any rumours of a version 7 round the corner ?

Many thanks,

Lawrence

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

The next version of Final Cut Studio will most likely be available next April/May. FCS2 is a great suite of apps. However, I would tell you to stick to Vegas unless there is a pressing need for a feature that you don't have.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Apple always allows you to upgrade at a reasonable price. So even if the new version were to come out you would not have to re-buy it. If it came out real soon after you bought it, like say two weeks the upgrade is typically free.

Can you use Final Cut Express? If so that could save you a bundle. You need to look at the features you really are planning to use. Later you can upgrade to FCP if required.

4. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

If you're going to continue to edit video go ahead and make the switch. It's 1000x easier and more fun on the Mac with FCP. And incredibly powerful if you know what you're doing, even a little (which I admittedly don't! :D)

Especially if you need a new computer, it's a great time to do it. If i recall correctly FCP 6 was released in late 2006 or early 2007. I wouldn't expect to see a new version until at least later next year. If you buy the full license, it's upgradable for about 1/2 price. Or if you're a student or teacher, you can get an academic license for about the price of the upgrade -- but the academic version isn't upgradable. Either way, FCP6 will stilll be a potent suite of apps even after version 7 comes out! :apple:

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

You realise Final Cut Studio is not Final Cut Pro?

Final Cut Studio is Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack, Color, Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, LiveType, Cinema Tools, and Qmaster.

You might want to take a look at Final Cut Express, which is a slimmed down version of Final Cut Pro. It's about £110.