Final Cut Pro on a macbook

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by andrewpoll, Sep 9, 2008.

1. andrewpoll macrumors newbie

How would a macbook handle editing with final cut pro and some occasional after effects use? Is it really necessary to get a macbook pro for this sort of stuff, since the macbook has a pretty fast processor anyways. Is the graphics going to be a big issue?

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

No problem doing the occasional project on a Macbook I'm sure but if you were to do movie work professionally, it probably wouldn't be long before you were looking towards the MacPro - having said that the iMac is probably the best place to start in terms of value - get the 24" if you don't need the portability.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

The graphics card will be an issue when rendering FXPlugs and with Motion and Color. But the real problem with non-expandable Macs (MacBook, MacMini, iMac, eMac, etc) is the fact you can't add anything as the need arises. You're stuck with one Firewire bus, no way to add eSATA, no way to add a specialized capture card.

If you plan to grow in video post-production, a MacBook Pro would be my minimum recommendation.

That's not to say the other won't work ... but they certainly won't be able to grow with you.

-DH

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

I use a macbook 2ghz core duo with FCP on it , last year i edited a several episodes of TV series on it for the TV channel where i work. Mostly on the train to and from work!

I dont use motion or any other Studio apps on it , but it is fine for editing.

Yes the screen size will drive you mad if you are used to having 2 scrrens, but if it all you know , you will get used to that quite quickly.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I think screen resolution is a huge problem with using a MacBook for any serious editing in FCP. 1280x800 isn't a lot of desktop real estate for modern NLEs. Even the 1440x900 display on my 15" MBP can get annoying at times.

With a MBP, you can (and probably will as your needs grow) add an eSATA ExpressCard. The MBP has a full-sized, dual-link DVI output so you can connect it to virtually any external display, including the 30" ACD. If you need broadcast-quality capture and output, there are companies out there like AJA that make FW800 interfaces for this. You simply get a far more extensible platform in the MBP vs. the regular MB.