Final Cut Pro on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cflem, Jul 26, 2017.

1. cflem macrumors member

cflem

Probably asked ad nauseam - but how many of you would love / use Final Cut Pro on the iPad Pro?

PLEASE APPLE.

2. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No thanks here too. For those that want to make a quick video there is already iMovie and a plethora of similar apps. None of them are usable to me so I certainly don't need iMovie's Big Brother moving to iOS. I need a real computer, real keyboard, read trackpad, real hard drive, for video editing. Let's let Apple's FCPX team focus on improving it on the Mac and not get sidetracked with another gimmick app.

4. Appleaker macrumors 68000

No, people keep saying they need this for the iPad top become a pro device. But if they got it they would probably realise that they don’t like it. There is no mouse/trackpad support right now which means the experience would either be awful or good but limited. Even if there was cursor support, it would compromise on touch input. Although personally I am fine with that with some apps if Apple add cursor support.

5. azpekt macrumors regular

6. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Get LumaFusion it is insanely advanced and covers almost everything I did with FCP X

7. azpekt macrumors regular

Can it do color correction on cinelog2 footage? Maybe, stabilizing?

8. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

It could be made to work with the Apple Pencil.

9. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

What's a real hardrive ?

10. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

Support for external memories is still missing. That's the last thing that needs to happen before final cut Pro for iPad. Mouse support could also help in certain situations, but that's not a showstopper, unless you have your iPad attached to a smart keyboard
    --- Post Merged, Jul 27, 2017 ---
    I wouldn't call it insanely advanced...
    there's not even video stabilization, which iMovie for the Mac had for ages. It's a good, promising start

11. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

This question is a non-starter among the "No way is iPad a Mac replacement" crowd.

The only way to win people over (if they can be won over) is to deliver a product that overcomes their objections. One that not only matches the performance of the "real thing," but exceeds it. In short, it would have to deliver a substantial improvement in productivity, all the necessary capabilities (and more), and a very quick learning curve.

The biggest mistake might be to call it "Final Cut." "Initial Cut Pro" would be optimized for field production. It wouldn't have to have the full FCPX feature set - it would be used for news gathering, tests/rough cuts/dailies for location shoots, podcasting/YouTubers... It would have to substantially beat iMovie, not match FCPX. Yeah, it could AirPlay to another display, but it's not enough to replace multi-display editing suites. The weight and size of an iPad trumps a MBP - it would change the working style - something easily held in a director's chair or while lounging on an RV's sofa, or passed around at a dinner table. It might really shine if a viable collaboration mode could be developed - multiple users with hands on at the same time... scary, perhaps, but potentially powerful in the right hands. A set with multiple iPads seems more practical than a set with multiple MBPs. Big projects with huge footage libraries are going to be brought back to the editing suite anyway. The advantage is that the work done in the field will migrate easily to the "big iron" when required (yeah, iMovie projects can do that, but...). Back in the studio... if the touchscreen interface wins fans I can imagine directors and editors controlling the big iron from the comfort of the editing suite sofa - an adjunct control surface, rather than a full replacement, enabled by collaboration mode.

But no, I'm sure none of today's working pros would embrace it, just as "real" typesetters were slow to embrace DTP (anyone remember that acronym?). It'll take off in film schools and in fringe production, it'll be forced on news gathering teams... And before long, some Sundance Festival phenom will have turned out to be Edited on my iPad.

12. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

Have a listen to this interview I did with the co-founder of LumaTouch:
    https://ipadpros.net/2017/07/27/episode-3-lumafusion-interview-video-editor/

She gets into what makes LumaFusion more advanced than anything else on iOS and what’s coming in the future. Something really cool is that with ARKit they will be able to tap into the depth perception used with that to make ChromaKey work better on an iPad than what macOS could do.

It is a newer app, so no it doesn’t include everything FCP X does, but for 90 percent of what you’d use FCP X for this will do and for me it’s more like 99% - the only thing that is missing for me is multi-cam support and that is something that she’s mentioned they are looking into for the future.

Edit: They are also working on adding FCP X OPML support so you could start on the iPad and FCP could ingest that and you could do your finalizations on the Mac.

13. ImBuz macrumors regular

ImBuz

Love Luma---add Luma FX--then you are good to go for most editing

14. cflem thread starter macrumors member

cflem

wow - id be all over Luma then export to FCPX - I think thats what I mean... a "version" for the iPad...

iMovie is okay - but you can't even overlay .psd or .png graphics... silly.

15. Bravia3d macrumors member