Final Cut Pro on SSD or HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 2contagious, Sep 27, 2010.

1. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hi,

I am asking because of

A) the size (50GB with all the content)
    and
    B) the amount of reads/writes to the SSD

What would you do? Install it on the SSD and end up with about 30 GB space left on the SSD or install it on the HDD? Or... is it possible to install the application on the SSD and the content on an HDD?

see you,
    chris.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. 2contagious thread starter macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Hi, thanks for the links on how to install it separately :)
    I am wondering if it is it "okay" to install Final Cut Pro on an SSD (some people seem to be against it?!)

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I agree with spinnerlys.

Plus, you'll probably find that you don't necessarily need the loads of additional content included with FCS. I never use the Soundtrack loops, Motion templates (I use AE instead) or DVD Studio Pro templates (I make my own menus).

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I have the full FCS installed on my MBP's SSD. :eek: ........... actually it NO big deal since I moved the humungous libraries to the opti-baby HD.

Will do the same thing for my MP.

cheers
    JohnG

6. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Exactly. I keep the loops and sfx, but move them onto another drive. This is why I installed on a mechanical first, so I could then use SuperDuper to move my lean OS after I move all that stuff. You can also save space by choosing *not* to load PAL templates in DVDSP.

Make sure you set your capture/renders off the SSD. But I'm most definitely set thumbnails to cache on the SSD. If there's one thing that drives me up the wall, it's waiting for thumbnails to load when I'm scrolling the timeline.