Final Cut Pro - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tonycooper, Jan 26, 2014.

1. tonycooper macrumors member

Hi All

Please help!

New user, moving from Windows 7....

All I need to do is import my family clips from my Panasonic camcorder, and create a DVD! I was using HD Writer, the Panasonic stock program, but it is not Mac compatible.

I have imported thre clips fine, and dragged down to the timeline, but.......

1 I am ultimately looking to have a menu page with chapters. So I used the 'T' button to insert titles, but I cannot see how to change the title text - double clicking does not work....

2 I f I don't have enough clips to fill a DVD (how do I check this..?), I cannot see how I save the project to add more later?

3 When I export to DVD, does the menu page and chapters work as I need - showing chapter on the menu screen, which can be selected when playing on a DVD player?

Really sorry to have to ask, but just seem to get my head around this!

Please help!

Thanks

2. Unami macrumors 6502a

assuming you're using fcp x....

1) doubleclicking the text in the viewer window should work - but you can also select the title clip in the timeline and then edit the text in the inspector (cmd-4).
    but those titles won't give you titles for a dvd-menu

2) good question - i've read that fcpx will just try to compress your timeline so it fits on a dvd - but it sometimes fails to do this right - i wouldn't recommend trying to fit more than 1h30 on a single layer dvd. it also seems to help if the timeline is already in the target-resolution for a DVD (meaning: SD)
    you don't have to save projects in fcpx, it does that automatially

3) i guess so, why don't you give it a try?

fcpx dvd features are very basic, it's more or less a "post-dvd" app. for more control over your dvd you could use dedicated programs like the old dvd-studio pro or adobe's encore or even idvd.

3. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Tony, before asking for help. Tell us what set up you have got. Then one is able to answer. There are 2 version of FCp-X.
    With FCP-X you have a share button to transfer your video and if yours is iDVD allow for encoding.
    Also YouTube is a very helpful information site for fast answers and learning a software.

4. tonycooper thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, looks like this isn't easily going to do what I need! Downloaded ISkysoft DVD Creater, which seems good, but I just cannot get it to keep HD format - any ideas? Thanks again

5. noshjewman macrumors member

As mentioned above, DVDs are SD, not HD - so unless you using a BluRay disc (which would require different authoring software), you can't make this HD.

Hope that's clear,
    Josh

6. tonycooper thread starter macrumors member

Got it - many thanks

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

DVDs is NOT "HD". You can not encode HD video to DVD unless you down scale it to "standard format"

If you need to put HD video on a disc then you need a Blue Ray disc

It is surprising how many people are watching DVDs on their 1080p latch screen TVs and thinking they are seeing HD movies. They are not.

This is one reason many peole don't use discs anymore. Why bother, just put your finished work in iTunes and watch it there. Get an Apple TV and watch in in full 1080 HD on your TV.

If you want others to see you work, put it on Youtube.

If yo need to hand over a physical disk you have to decide between two options
    1) DVD that is down scaled to SD or
    2) BluRay

8. tonycooper thread starter macrumors member

Noted, good info, thanks!

9. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

is it better to buy a external blu ray recorder or internal.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

If you're considering a Mac I don't think you have a choice. In any event, external is probably better so you can upgrade it independently.