Final Cut Pro problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ConnerHCO, Aug 25, 2010.

1. ConnerHCO macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a problem with FCP. I used to be able to drag and drop my video onto my timeline and it would ask 'would you like to change video settings to match your clip' and i pressed 'yes' now for some reason it doesnt do that anymore. and my videos are in 4:3 Instead of 16:9 (clips were captured in 16:9). any way i can fix this or manually change the video settings. thanks so much.

Conner.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It does happen with new, empty sequences too?

What about changing the sequence settings manually via right clicking on the sequence and choosing "Sequence Settings"?

What FCP version do you use?

A more descriptive and precise thread title will help cater to the right audience and get you more responses. (see rule #3 under Minor Problems)
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

Dren, opened the FCP manual and found this via entering "ask match" in Preview's search field (I used the PDF version of the FCP 7 manual):

3. ConnerHCO thread starter macrumors newbie

its looking better but i need to render how do i match the exact settings.

FCP 7

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Use sequence settings that match your clip settings and don't use clips with different settings, especially no H264 encoded videos and such.

Again, from the manual, same page I already quoted:

Also take a look at Appendix B and at least fly over the Contents pages to see what the manual can offer.

In short, best use videos in .mov format/container with either the DV, ProRes or Apple Intermediate Codec for the video and the audio should be Uncompressed. If you have different formats and codecs, you can use MPEG Streamclip to transcode the clips to one format and codec to get a better editing experience.

5. ConnerHCO thread starter macrumors newbie

they are H.264 :L is there any way that final cut can match the exact settings?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know, but H264 is not an editing codec. I mentioned the ones, that FCP accepts without a problem.

Editing applications don't really like highly compressed video, especially MPEG-4 encoded video, like H264 ones, as not every frame is stored within the file and the CPU is taxed a lot during playback to recreate missing frames. Editing applications need video with every frame stored inside for easier editing.

Again, use MPEG Streamclip to transcode that H264 footage to .mov files using the DV codec for SD material or ProRes codec (or AIC) for HD material. Also use Uncompressed for audio.

If you use MRoogle, you might find dozens of similar threads (people trying to edit highly compressive formats with professional applications, even though H264 is meant for delivery and not editing).