Final Cut Pro - Quicktime Conversion = No audio?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by britboyj, Jan 18, 2011.

1. britboyj macrumors 6502a

I'm sort of a newbie with Final Cut and am learning it as necessary as part of some contract work for a friend. (Slow, slow paced contract work!)

All of the video she's given me is ATROCIOUS so some of it was easily fixable via Final Cuts own filters. When done with those projects I exported with the Quicktime Conversion and badda-bing-badda-boom it's done. Perfect export. (1080p MOV file)

Now on this particular project I sent the audio to Soundtrack for cleanup and then saved it back to Final Cut, changed the audio in the timeline. (now called [filename](sent)) The audio and video are both in-sync and PERFECT in the timeline.

Unfortunately when I export using the same process as before, there's no audio. Saving as a quicktime movie DOES include the audio but makes the livetype elements look like crap. Compressor does the same but again, the livetype looks like crap.

So am I out of luck? Do I have to use Compressor or Quicktime Movie (rather than conversion?) or am I missing a setting?

Thanks in advance!

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Hmm. What audio codec are you exporting to in the quicktime conversion settings? (And for that matter, what video codec?)

3. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Using Export>Quicktime Conversion:

Video:
    Compression: H.264
    Quality: Best
    Frame reordering: yes
    Encoding mode: multi-pass
    Dimensions 1920x1080

These all seem fine.

Audio:
    Format: Integer (Little Endian)
    Sample rate: 48.000 kHz
    Sample size: 16-bit
    Channels: Stereo (L R)

I haven't ever messed with the audio from previous projects so I'm not sure why they would work before and not now, but then again, I wasn't paying attention. Thanks for the help!

4. boch82 macrumors 6502

What is your delivery specs on this? DVD, WEb, just a quicktime?

The easiest way is to just export a quicktime (no conversion in FCP) do NOT make the movie self contained. Bring the file into compresso and export to the appropriate format.

5. britboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just quicktime for now. What's the difference between self contained and not?

What's the difference between going this route and going straight from FCP to Compressor?

Thanks for all the help!

6. boch82 macrumors 6502

Self-Contained is a stand alone file. If you do not check it, it links to the original media files/renders. The send to function can sometimes work but for a complex sequence it just takes much longer to encode. Do a search on here I know this has been discussed before.

7. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

What you should do is File>Export>Quicktime Movie

Keep it at Current Settings and Make Self Contained Movie needs to be checked. Then after that has been exported bring that into compressor to bring it down to H.264. You are better off doing that then sending it to compressor or even doing a quicktime conversion within quicktime.