Final Cut Pro: RT codec for QT... Is it possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NexXtTime, Oct 6, 2008.

1. NexXtTime macrumors newbie

I was wondering if I could play my .avi and .mov files w/o having to render, like in RT.

I can already do this with .dv files, but I can't with avi and .mov files. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    :D

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You could encode them to a Final Cut Pro friendly format (the one that you set in your sequence).

Otherwise you will have to render and render every time you edit the clip in the timeline.
    .avi is a distribution format/header with a variety of codecs used in it.
    How should FCP handle all those codecs that are not fit for editing?
    .mov should be fine, unless the codec used is .H263/4 or some other strong compression.

That's the advantage of Avid (even if it takes time). It really imports the files and recodes them.

PS: .dv files are the ones you captured with iMovie, so it is a editing friendly format.

3. NexXtTime thread starter macrumors newbie

I can do that on my Windows w/o rendering for playback.. I'm confused, shouldn't I be able to RT any of the formats QT understands, as well?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you use FCP on Windows?

See, FCP was designed for some codecs, but not all, especially not distribution codecs.

What software do you mean, playing back all your files in realtime under Windows?

PS: Final Cut Pro is a PRO application, using PRO codecs and not Xvid or Divx or other codecs, which were never meant for editing.

PPS: Those distribution codecs do not have all frames stored, only approximations and interleaves. Pro codecs do that too to some extent, but not in that same manner. So Final Cut has to render to a better suited format for so called RT playback.

5. NexXtTime thread starter macrumors newbie

Sony Vegas. And that sure is annoying :(

6. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If you have a decent system, it really doesn't take that long to convert them into an editable format.

I would recommend using Mpeg StreamClip.