Final Cut Pro Still Frame Effects

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Arisian, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Gents,

I apologize in advance for how ignorant this post is going to sound to most of you, however, maybe with admitting that upfront we can move past the 'This guy is a total newb' essence of this post :)

Here is the situation I am in. I am in charge of managing a very large video production. I am a graphic designer and web designer by trade and so it seemed fitting to the 'higher-ups' that this fit into my box. We are doing a 5 minute video on a social cause which is composed of still shots and NO voice over, just text. We want to make it as emotional as possible. nonetheless, thats NOT the point of this post... thought its taken me two paragraphs to get to the point.

I am working with a guy who has 15 years of video editing experience, but I need to bring some creative elements to the table esp. since Im the vision behind this project. Can you guys point me in the direction of still-shot creative concepts (ken burns, etc) that help me have a creative direction for htis project.

Thanks so much,
    Brian

2. -DH macrumors 65816

What editing software will you be using? FWIW, After Effects or Motion 3 are great creative tools to use with still images and titling. But you can create basic motion with images in just about any NLE.

-DH

3. Poeben macrumors 6502

It sounds like this could start to fall closer to compositing than editing. As DH already mentioned, Motion and AE are great for this kind of stuff, as are the Autodesk solutions. There's a lot of options and largely depends on what you want to convey.

One thing to keep in mind...cut your audio first! I assume you will be using a music bed, and to cut in music after the video is next to impossible (if you want your piece to be any good.) After the video is cut, you can then go back and add SFX/sweetening if desired.

4. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

we are using final cut pro (3) w/ motion and after effects.

I think honestly, im just going to go rent a ken burns video and steal from the master :)

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Just be careful not to over-do it. It gets really gaudy really quickly. :)

6. Arisian thread starter macrumors 68000

Arisian

absolutely