Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

di1in

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Hi guys, I am looking to gift a mac to a video editor friend of mine.

I am not sure whether Final Cut Pro (which he uses the most) needs more RAM/HDD or graphics memory.

So, I am confused between getting the high-end 15" version, or getting the low-end 15" version and upgrading the RAM and HDD to 16GB and 7200rpm/SSD.

Please advise.

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
I would say for video editing a fast CPU, more RAM and HD space (in that order although CPU and RAM are like 1a and 1b) trumps graphics memory by a long shot. You can always expand drive space via external Firewire or Thunderbolt drives.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I would say for video editing a fast CPU, more RAM and HD space (in that order although CPU and RAM are like 1a and 1b) trumps graphics memory by a long shot. You can always expand drive space via external Firewire or Thunderbolt drives.

I concur with this previous post. Video editing takes a lot of space. Most editors will put their footage on an external hard drive. Using an external hard drive might also improve performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.