Final Cut Pro to Blue Ray

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CH12671, Jan 12, 2014.

1. CH12671 macrumors 6502

If I buy this burner, can I export video out of FCP ("share to Blue Ray") and expect it to be compatible with set-top players? I also have compressor, if it's any better.

thanks

2. SkeeterHarris macrumors newbie

Works Great

So if you are using FCP or FCP X, you'll export to a Blu-Ray Image file which as you know will be a large file. The LG Electronics Blu-Ray player you listed is one of the few USB 3.0 devices which does help and if you use Roxio Toast you with the Blu-Ray Plugin the burner works great! I've now used this with both a 2008 MacPro along with a 2013 MacBook Pro and had now issues using this drive with multiple projects to burn HD DVD's. So even though the box does not say it works with Mac, it worked flawlessly!

3. CH12671 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I didn't know.....so FCP and compressor just export BR images, and I'll need separate software to put the image onto a disc in a useable form? I've read about Roxio Toast, it seems to be the most popular...

If that's the case, I may just go with one of the OWC offerings that comes bundled with Toast!

4. SkeeterHarris macrumors newbie

Toast

Hey - Yes that is the piece you need both FCP and Compressor will create the image file in the proper format for the Blu-Ray but you need Toast with their Blu-Ray plugin so that you can actually burn the image to the disc. Hope this helps and good luck!

5. dringkor macrumors member

I have an older LG external Blu-ray burner, FCPX, and Toast, and they work great to produce Blu-ray discs playable in set-top players. I will advise you to stay away from LTH type BD-R media though, as some older of the players I've tried them on had play problems part way through.

6. CH12671 thread starter macrumors 6502

awesome, thanks for the advice! I think I'll head into BB today and pick this little gem up!