Final Cut Pro Training

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by piratezeke, Jul 14, 2008.

1. piratezeke macrumors newbie

I am about to purchase Final Cut Pro. I'm part of a theater group that has a fairly successful stage show and we want to start doing video.

I have editing experience. I worked in TV news shooting and editing video - though it was a few years back, so I understand the "principles" of editing. But this type of editing is all new.

I have a fairly substantial credit from work I can use toward any type of legitimate computer training - so training would kill two birds with one stone. Can anyone recommend a decent training center? I heard about Digital Bootcamp and they might be fine, but I talked to someone in their office last week and the person answering the phone was so shaky, my confidence is shaken.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

3. piratezeke thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually they are on my list. I guess what I'm wondering has anyone taken a class at any training place and would say "Go there, it's worth it"

I have heard good things about Digital Bootcamp, but the person I talked with couldn't get his computer to work to pull up classes. That may have nothing to do with the quality of instruction, but before I spend $2000, I'd like to see if anyone has had a high quality experience somewhere else.

I am near Chicago. I could reasonably travel (if the class was a week long or something like that)...

4. tri3limited macrumors 6502

I'm UK based and have taken two courses in Final Cut and in Motion and they were amazing! Lunch was provided and was amazing (if not the best bit!), you are provided with one of the course books to keep (£40 i think ~$80) as well as treated to a traditionally Apple-esq service.

I was more than happy and it was definitely worth the money, although i do highly recommend negotiating with the store as i got £200 off my second course :D

Very through and you learn all the keyboard shortcuts going! I was previously a self taught FCP editor and was only after the qualification but i picked up so much more than that. The first day was very straight forward basics and it picked up from their to learning multi-cam edits, advanced keyframing as well as integration with the Final Cut Studio suite.

Cannot recommend this course enough!

5. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

if you're into self-teaching...

I found a fabulous book on Final Cut Pro:

"Final Cut Pro 4 and the Art of Filmmaking" by Jason Cranford Teague and David Teague.

I've heard it's been updated for Final Cut Pro 5 but I'm not certain. Even if version 4 is all you can find, it will get you 99% of the way there.

6. piratezeke thread starter macrumors newbie

Were these Apple Pro Training classes?