Final Cut Pro TV Static Effect Causing Pixels!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CanadaJ, Jul 11, 2008.

1. CanadaJ macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm editing a short film I directed/produced and in one part of the film I use the FCP effect 'Noise' in the video generator to create the tv static effect. So the movie has the tv static then it cuts to a shot of one of the characters reactions. Everything looks fine in the composer window but when I burn it to dvd, the static looks great but the next shot with the character is badly pixelated. It looks very "blocky."

I know it is the tv static that is causing it because I tried replacing the tv static with another image and then burned the dvd again. The next clip with the characters reaction looked great! So I tried exporting just the tv static clip then reimporting it and using that in the timeline but the same problem occurs.

Has anyone had a similar problem before? Any ideas on what to do here?

2. Poeben macrumors 6502

If I had to guess, I would say that it's the compression that is doing this. Try placing compression markers at the boundaries of the 'static' to force the compressor to start a new gop. This 'should' be done automatically at edit points, so just a suggestion.