Final Cut Pro Upgrading Questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jebaloo, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Jebaloo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    #1
    Hey, so I'm a bit confused.

    I bought Final Cut Pro off a friend, and I'm sure he told me that it was the Educational Version. So I rang up apple to see what the real deal is with upgrading the education version to the new retail version.

    He asked me to look at the serial number strip, and it says 'RETAIL', on it - suggesting that its not an Education version after all.

    So he says that If I buy the Retail upgrade package, that it will be no problem to upgrade the software.


    Questions:

    What happens if the apple guy was wrong, and actually the version I've got IS an Education Version - will the software I buy be totally useless without the correct upgrade serial no?

    If it does work, will I be able to sell on my old software for someone esle to use?

    Is there any was of typing serial numbers in somewhere to find out if it is Education Version or not?

    I don't have the software installed on my laptop at the moment, becaue I'm waiting to buy a MacPro.

    Any advice greatly apreciated,

    Cheers.
     
  2. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    #2
    Just a bump to see if anyone else has any ideas on this.
     
  3. 7masscom macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2007
    #3
    Questions:

    1.) If you have the educational version, it is not upgradeable. It "sounds" like you have the retail version.

    2.) After installing the upgrade from an older retail version of FCP, you'll have a new SN#... but the only problem is, if you need to do a complete re-install (hard drive crash, dog eats your computer, etc...), you'll need the older version.

    3.) Most applications have distinctive codes for educational and retail versions. Apple should be able to tell you what version you have from the SN#.
     
  4. Jebaloo thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    #4
    Thanks, i'll give them another call to see if they can confirm which version I have.
     

Share This Page