Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-markjones05

Well, as one who used to use FCP 1, 2, and 3 and now has bought FCX for my home system (I'm still attending ChiFCPUG meetings), I may be able to shed some light.

First off, let me disclaim that I don't know everything, but I'm sure some other member here will fill any gaps of mine :D

The first thing the Professionals will tell you is that FCX is not a Pro product.

1. FCX is DV only, FCP can use HD, Secam, Film, as well as DV.
2. FCX's color corrector is two-channel, not FCP's three-channel
3. No Batch Capture in FCX, only Capture Now and Capture Clip.
4. (big one) Only Motion and opacity is keyframe-able in FCX. For example, in FCP one could keyframe effects like Blur to do a focus-dissolve.
5. No plug-Ins with FCX, though you can add Effects.
6. You can swap project files between FCP and FCX as long as you don't use effects or plug-ins from FCP that aren't in FCX. Otherwise it won't open.

FCX is FCP - it's the same code. The canned countdown still reads "FinalCutPro". The apple developers who made FCX literally took FCP's code and removed pro features like those mentioned above. If you are familiar with FCP the transition is easy - barring any missed features of course.

You still have incredible control over your video, really shockingly cool stuff. I still mutter "I can't believe I'm doing this at home on my own machine". Compositing is stellar, and the motion stuff is really handy. Also the speed controls are excellent as well, they, like FCP blend intervening frames to actually look like you recorded the shot in faster than normal framrates. Not the iMovie jitters.

Aside from the inability to keyframe effects, I don't feel any difference. Exept there is $700 extra in my checking account. I can live with that.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Cool thanx that helped out alot.

So in your opinion its worth saving the money rather than getting the full product?

Because I am just starting out with editing and I dont have either of them and I really want to know whether to save the money, or is it gonna limit me too much in the future?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-markjones05

Well look what I did, I moved from FCP to FCX.

Are you going to outgrow it? Only if you make a career out of it with a television station or movie studio.

markjones05

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-markjones05

Well look what I did, I moved from FCP to FCX.

Are you going to outgrow it? Only if you make a career out of it with a television station or movie studio.

Thats what im hoping for. thats why i need to learn it now. Ive only worked in Media 100 and Avid.

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Originally posted by markjones05

Thats what im hoping for. thats why i need to learn it now. Ive only worked in Media 100 and Avid.

I don't know anything:rolleyes: about this, but i would say get FCX, then if you go pro, you may have FCP provided for you if you get hired, or if not, just sell FCX then buy FCP. Just my advice, but i dont know anything at all about this.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-markjones05

Hmm. SoonToGetAMac makes a very good point. You could train yourself in FCX, then just move all your project timelines to FCP if/when the time is right.

The bulk of the learning curve would be in FCX anyway. The actual differences, as I have mentioned, are few.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: Final cut pro/express

Originally posted by markjones05
Does anyone know the exact differences between Final cut pro and Final cut express?

If you plan on working on anything long or complicated being able to log yer clips is worth the extra price for FCP IMO.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.