Final Cut Pro vs. Express

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by the big kx, Nov 7, 2009.

1. the big kx macrumors newbie

the big kx

Hi guys, new to the site and first post. I have a quick question regarding Final Cut Express and Pro. I have about 10-15 hours experience with Final Cut Express through a class at school so I have a decent idea of how to use it, but mainly just basically. The list for it is $199. Now, I am wondering if this is a good video editing software to make a real professional video (mainly action ones, MX, but could be anything) as I have not really explored what I can do with it. How advanced is FCE compared to FCP, listed at $1199? Why is FCP $1000 more, and is this worth it? I'm obviously not looking to make a hollywood movie, but even though right now I have limited knowledge with FC, I would like to build on this and become really good with it. Will I soon exhaust FCE's features like I did after one use of iMovie? Or will FCE last me for several years with upgrades as seen fit?

Thanks guys.

2. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

You can buy Final Cut Express for $200 because it's just a video editor.

You can't just buy Final Cut Pro, you buy Final Cut Studio; that includes a bunch of professional apps for movie-quality sound production, visual effects,Final Cut Pro itself, and DVD authoring. That's why it's so expense.

The difference between the actual Final Cut Pro 7 vs. Final Cut Express 4 are slim but Final Cut Pro 7 offers stuff for batch capturing, and a lot of integration into the Final Cut Studio Suite.

Now, if you're going to make a living off video production - I would recommend Final Cut Studio; with Studio you get Motion (a program that does a lot of professional titling and several high quality visual effects). However, if you want to make quality films for YouTube or for yourself/friends, Express is the way to go (it offers green screen usage, and other video effects).