Final Cut Pro X and Mini DV???!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by hschmeichel, Jun 28, 2011.

1. hschmeichel macrumors newbie

Hello out there.
    Does anyone know if FCPX works fine with Mini Dv (capture, timecome etc..) - and if not, what to do for us with 'old school' tape recording....
    Luv Hanne S

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

They have dropped support for tapes. Tapes suck.

3. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Nonsense. You still can capture tape. There's just not that many features in the Log and Captures screen anymore.

4. Derwood macrumors regular

Will partly depend on your camera/deck, but captured a bunch of MiniDV tapes today without a problem. It's basically the same as "Capture Now" from FCP7.

5. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Don't listen to this guy. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

I just captured a few HDV and DV tapes without issue. It works perfectly fine.

6. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Tapes DO suck, but that doesn't mean you know squat about what you're talking about. I still use tapes for archiving and have old projects with time codes from logged tapes that I still need to capture from time to time...so yeah, for those of us who make a living using FCP, FCP X is unusable in that regard.

7. hschmeichel thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I won't....hahahaa
    But is it possible to do some kind of log & capture or do I have to import the whole tape first and throw out later, unless I have to sit and Capture Now, which kind of nails you to the chair....

And what about timecode, is that 'out' as well????
    Luv Hanne S(o can't afford a video cam everytime Apple changes the standards...)

8. cgbier macrumors 6502a

What you can do is to cue the camera to the point from where you want to capture, capture, repeat. I have a Sony deck that can set capture markers while cueing.

I actually think the tape capture process has advantages: You can preview your footage and do some editing decisions in your head during capture (I oftentimes work with footage I haven't shot myself).

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

TC is still there but log and capture is out, AFAIK.

Lethal

10. hschmeichel thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point! All this HD stuff is new to me; just getting back in the game after a 10 yrs break... so thanks for good advice!!!!
    Luv Hanne S

11. hschmeichel thread starter macrumors newbie

Shame, I think, with L&C, - but thanks for your answer!
    Luv Hanne S