Final Cut Pro X bugs and glitches under macOS Sierra

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mathemabeat, Oct 16, 2016.

1. mathemabeat macrumors member

If any of you guys use Final Cut Pro X and thinking of upgrading to Sierra, you might want to check out a quick video I put up dealing with bugs and glitches that happen under Sierra. It's pretty bad. And there are plenty more other bugs that didn't make it into this video.

What's been your experience?

[video]

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

3. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

I was wondering what the hell that line was on the timecode... Also have same issue of the 'Show' and 'Hide' contextual menu thing not showing up or unable to expand it. But, I checked the color picker and it didn't crash FCPX for me. BTW, running latest FCPX in Sierra on a mid-2010 cMP with AMD RX460...

But, the line through the timecode is also present on my 15" mid-2010 MBP with GT330m.

I don't remember if this began in El Cap or with Sierra. But, hope Apple fixes them soon!

4. mathemabeat thread starter macrumors member

Interesting. Mind sharing your Mac details?

Yeah, the line through the Timecode was present when El Capitan launched. Took Apple like 6 months to patch it. Though along with the patch came a bunch of other fixes and extra support for newer codecs and such. Hopefully they don't wait another 6 months to patch it again. I would like to see them update FCPX far more often.

I did some more testing. Besides deleting preferences for FCPX, I also reset the SMC and PRAM of my iMac. Didn't seem to have any effect.

5. loby macrumors 6502a

loby

Yes, seen the issues and hoping that an update is coming. I when ahead and tried the latest Sierra beta version and get issues as well, like while working on FCPX flash of black screen and sometimes the timeline changes a bit...

Thinking that the next version of Sierra is coming out soon, but looks as if I will be downgrading to El Cap. Too bad...Sierra seems faster on the response overall. Have a mac pro 2013.

6. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Late 2013 15" rMBP with 16gb RAM and 512 SSD. I did a clean install of macOS Sierra (left-over habit from my WinDoze days)

7. mathemabeat thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm. I might do a clean install and see how it fairs.

8. mathemabeat thread starter macrumors member

Quick update.

Blew away the El Capitan to Sierra upgrade/install and did a fresh Sierra install on my late 2015 iMac. Zero difference in how FCPX behaves. I was really hoping that at least the crashing in FCPX from clicking on the color chooser would be resolved. Nope.

However, I am noticing the machine is snappier, graphics in the GUI are faster and overall the system seems quicker. Minimizing and maximizing windows seem more responsive...overall a much more enjoyable experience.

Before I was thinking that maybe just the 5k screen was too much for the i5/m395 combo to push around. Apparently a clean install sorted that out.

Now if only Apple would patch FCPX.