Final Cut Pro X Capabilities?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LOLZpersonok, Apr 8, 2014.

1. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2012
    Calgary, Canada
    I want to get a brand new Mac for one reason - Final Cut Pro X. I want to know what kinds of things it's capable of. Particularly, I want to know if it can be used to apply 3D effects created in another applications (For example, you have a shot of an empty field and want to put a 3D rendered building there), and if it can also do motion tracking. I've been using Sony Vegas Pro 10 for a long time, and if you ask me, at best it's only a mid-range video editor, not a professional one like it's heralded to be. It's stupidly overpriced and it can't do the things I want it to without a lot of costly plugins.

What kinds of cool and interesting things can Final Cut Pro X do?
  2. Johnsyounger macrumors member

Nov 3, 2013
    You can do basic compositing, but you can't do 3d tracking. If you want to stick with Apple, Motion is capable. However, if you want good results a3rd party software is best. After Effects, Cinema 4d, and Boujou are what I use. The options are limitless. I recently read they put a year long timeline together in fcp as well as 200+ layers or something like that. If your looking for more a complete solution, I think Nuke does editing and compositing together. Good news is there is literally hundreds of software combinations that can suit your needs. Just depends on what you want to do exactly...
  3. GALENOS macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2013
    s few cool things but still pales in comparisons to after effects when it comes to 3d effects/graphics and any kind of special effects in general.. You should really give After effects a try as this is what its specifically made to do.. FCPX is more for video editing than 3d graphic effects etc.. I use both and AE is MUCH better in that department by a super shot:apple: