Final cut pro x compatibility issues and why is my import window so big?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Soulweaponry, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

So firstly, the mts videos from my sony hd camcorder aren't mac compatible at all. I tried a free converter (smart converter) but that ended up messing up the quality of the clip AND it still wouldn't import the right way into final cut pro x. What should i do? I've heard about clip wrap and other converters, but after using the first one that ruined my clips, i'm a little hesitant on throwing money at stuff that might not work.

Secondly, when i try to import movies i have this abnormally large import window that covers up most of the thumbnails that i'd be searching through. This is what it looks like

[​IMG]

This isn't normal right? How can i change this?

2. Soulweaponry thread starter macrumors 6502

Really? Nobody knows anything? I thought of all places to ask, it'd be a place where a ton of mac users hang out

3. simsaladimbamba

You could either resize the window, below is a screenshot of how to do this in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, but Mac OS X 10.7 Lion offers all sides to be used to resize a window.
    [​IMG]
    And you can also use List View (CMD+2) instead of Icon View (CMD+1) and QuickLook (Spacebar) to browse the clips, though .mts clips will probably not imported.
    [​IMG]

PS: The window is that big because of all the import options.

Transcoding .MTS files (AVCHD footage) to an editable format (.MOV)

4. Soulweaponry thread starter macrumors 6502

There's gotta be something i'm missing here. I read the link you provided and you can indeed mess around with resizing, but the resizing in this situation is completely counterproductive to what i'm trying to do. When i resize (to make it so i can see more files) all it does is decrease the size of the file window and leave the "options" window the same size or bigger. This, besides the mts issue, is the biggest thing i hate about final cut. Especially when scrolling through tons and tons of files, 1 row at a time is just a pain. Is there a way i could just copy and paste into an event? There needs to be an option to hide the settings for a bigger view of the actual files. This is how it looks when i resize my window

[​IMG]

I've pretty much given up on this. I guess i'll just learn to deal with it. I checked out your thread about converting avchd also and wowww. Very helpful but man is that a lot of steps just to make my movies editable. Why does it take so much work to do this? Why isn't it as simple as dropping it into a converter and boom it's converted? Genuinely asking so i can know more about this. Is mts not just a video file? I'll head back over to your thread and see if i can get some stuff converted without losing anything

5. simsaladimbamba

I missed your signature, thus I didn't thought about the resolution, and as you are limited to 1280 x 800 pixel, you can't have a bigger file view than in your first post.
    You could however use Column View (CMD+3) and have a preview of the file on the right side and use your arrow keys to navigate the files.
    You could also just buy ClipWrap (costs money, but may be simpler to use, as it allows rewrapping (not changing the codec, only the container (.mts to .mov)) and transcoding (changing codec (H.264 to ProRes) and container) in more simple steps. It is up to you, if you want to buy an app for that.

And normally one imports the files directly from the camera or SD card (or the medium used in the camera to store the video) or a 1:1 copy of the entire record medium (including all the folders and small files), as .mts files can't be directly imported into FCP or Avid MC.
    Here is a video on what I mean, though it is tailored for FCP 7, the same rules apply for FCP X.
    As .mts files use the H.264 codec, which is not an editing codec, but a distribution codec, the files are small and playing them is CPU intensive, editing is even more CPU intensive, thus the transcoding (which is not necessary with FCP X and .mov files using the H.264 - btw, I just tested an .m4v file rewrapped via Rewrap2m4v and imported that .m4v file into FCP X and I could not see video, only hear audio, even when the .m4v file played back fine in QuickLook*) is often the less strenuous way.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find dozens of similar threads regarding AVCHD footage and FCP (7 and X):
    [​IMG]

* PS: Even after FCP X transcoded the imported .m4v file into a .mov file using the ProRes 422 codec, the video was still not there, even when watching the .mov file via QuickLook.

Seems you either follow the whole procedure or look at ClipWrap. And please don't buy any other converter software before checking back here, as some of the available software is just crapware, regardless of what they promise.

PPS: If you are serious about editing, also learn about proper ingestion of video files, what standard video codecs exist (H.264, x264, ProRes, Apple Intermediate Codec, DNxHD, DV PAL/NTSC, ...) and for what purpose they are used (editing, recording, distribution) and what format and codecs are best for what editing applications you use (FCP X likes ProRes 422 encoded .mov files). I know it seems a lot, but at least some kind of superficial knowledge will help understand why it is that way.