Final Cut Pro X export

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by linuxcooldude, Jun 23, 2011.

1. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Does FCP X only exports in ProRes format? I got my project completed but after rendering it was a 7GB file ( 20 minutes long ) which is way to large for my needs.

Had to redo it in iMovie which file size was more manageable at 512MB.

Do I need or should I get compressor the $49.00 add on to export it to a smaller size?

And what type of codec parameters do you would think I would need? I usually export it in 480p widescreen, which I use for youtube blip.tv ect.

Thanks guys!

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Maybe some actual FCP X early adopters can chime in, but from what I've learned so far scouring through its joke of a manual, the traditional Quicktime Conversion export option is gone. And that seems to imply that FCP X will only export based on the format the sequence is in.

Needless to say, Compressor typically yields better encodes than QT Conversion from legacy FCP anyway, so I find it silly to use FCP without it. Compressor SHOULD be bundled with FCP X, but it presents the perfect money grab for Apple on the App Store.

3. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

Tried to export a sample HD clip with one built in effect and on playback, half the clip went tits up and looked garbled. Pretty uninspiring stuff.

4. linuxcooldude thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I ended up getting the compressor add on. Editing was super easy. The export was a bit hard till you understand it. Tried to do it through FCP X but didn't work, probably my fault though.

Sent it to compressor as a 720p and boom it was done.

Great editor. But it really takes a bit of learning to get the right resolutions, codecs ect. down pat.

Funny, the whole time using FCP X never slows down or lags till the final export part and it slows down. Once the actual render starts it goes fine.

Thanks agian