Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrsanthny5

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2013
Hello,
I am running the latest Version of Final Cut Pro X on my 13 inch retina MacBook display late-2013 fully loaded, going @ Best For Retina.
I am working on a project and every time I connect my media SSD via thunderbolt to the computer, and attempt to import the files in FCPX, my computer stutters and the screen completely goes black forcing a hard boot. All I need to do is go to Import > then click on the drive where my files are located, and click on ONE (without even trying to import, just to preview it), my system freezes and collapses.
These files are 1080p ProRes 4:2:2 10bit RGB.

I'm wondering if it is the project settings, my computer, or the SSD itself. Though I doubt it would be in the media drive because the files play finely in Finder and QuickTime.
Any help would be appreciated!

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Test the files by copying to local drive.
Check a few and see if there is a difference.
Just import without transcode so that it links to local files.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Thunderbolt is known to make computers freeze....if your drive has a USB 3.0 port try that...I have a Thunderbolt capture card and a thunderbolt external 1TB drive and they are picky, supposedly apple fixed this but thus far haven't seen THAT much improvement...that said if I keep my capture card to one port it usually doesnt freeze my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.