Final Cut Pro X is exporting video with horizontal lines?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by joehuddle1, Sep 1, 2014.

1. joehuddle1 macrumors newbie

I filmed a show with 2 different cameras (one is a canon vixia, the other is a canon dos 7D, i realize the quality is different for them) and I used the multi cam editor to match h up the clips and audio file to switch back and forth. I think i created proxy media to use for the multi cam clip. Whenever i export my movie, the movie plays with horizontal lines, and whenever there is faster motion, the person gets blurred. What is making final cut pro x export like this? How do I fix this? I've tried exporting with Apple ProRes 422, Apple ProRes 422 (Proxy), and H.264, but all video files have the lines going through it and the motion is a bit blurry. Please help me!!

2. megapuppy macrumors newbie

Sounds like you shot your footage with interlacing turned on (50i or 60i). Highlight your clip in the event window and click on the toolbox icon in the inspector - and then change the setting from Progressive to Interlaced (you'll have the choice of Upper or Lower field first - it'll probably be Upper).

Google "interlacing" to get a description of what this is - and in future, I strongly recommend shooting progressive.

3. Chad3eleven macrumors regular

You may have it backwards (megapuppy).. yes the vixia more than likely shoots interlaced.. but the OP needs to turn it OFF.. not turn it back on..

The 7D shoots progressive. But what I gather is your sequence setting, or the export settings are set to interlaced.. which will give you the lines.. and some blurring.

Using the steps below, change the clips from the vixia FROM interlaced TO progressive.. So instead of upper field, choose progressive, or de-interlace if that is an option (I dont know FCPX that well.)