Final Cut Pro X on Original Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by rhkamra, Jun 23, 2011.

1. rhkamra macrumors member

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't believe so. From what I've heard, the original mac pro is unable to run FCPX, and you can't even get a graphics card from Apple that will let you run it.

3. mscrimp10 macrumors newbie

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Ummmm....

The 7300 GT simply just doesn't support OpenCL (too old). But that doesn't mean your Mac Pro can't run FCP X. You just need a newer card. For a 2006, the Radeon 5770 comes to mind (and yes, that card does work in 2006 machines).

5. MacProPIMP macrumors member

My 2006 Mac Pro runs it fine, I have the 8800GT.

6. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

3870 also works!!! (tested it in a 08)

It screams!

7. musique macrumors regular

musique

What about MPs that are only slightly newer?

Until reading this thread I'd always thought that only graphics cards sold by Apple would work in a Mac Pro. When I looked to see if my 3-year-old MP (MacPro3,1) could even run FCPX I found that its video card (ATI Radeon HD 2600) wouldn't run it because it was not OpenCL.

So, is it true that I can update my graphics card to one purchased at a site other than Apple's?

(And, no, I don't expect to stop using FCS any time soon.)

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

If it's not an Apple-specfic card that's compatible with EFI-64 right out of the box (PC cards use BIOS), you would have to flash one that's known to work. The PC versions of the 5770 and 5870 (both support OpenCL) are known to flash easily to work in Macs and there's numerous guides published regarding this.

Cindori's Golden Guide thread is a good place to start.

9. musique macrumors regular

musique

Thank you, Captain. It's great that these wise folks have worked so hard to provide alternatives to Apple's offerings.

For now the card I have is fine. After Lion debuts and when I see what happens with FCPX, I may go this route. Then again, by the time FCPX is ready for prime time, my MP may have to be replaced altogether.

Thanks again for the speedy and helpful reply.