Final Cut Pro X (problem)

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by codyhyman, Mar 4, 2013.

1. codyhyman macrumors newbie

When I try to save my movie to my desktop I click on share and then click on export file to my desktop and a new window pops up and I change the settings to what I want it to be and name the movie and then I Click next and the window goes away and nothing happens! Please help me!!!

2. Borntorun macrumors member

You sure nothing happens? FCPX exports in the background. Check the progress indicator above your edit line, doule click on it and check again.

3. daybreak macrumors 6502a

FCPX automatically saves your project. Open you Project on you hard drive which you use for FCPX and you should see your movie.

4. Gerlandano macrumors newbie

Gerlandano

Not sure what Daybreak is saying. It makes no difference which drive FCPX is using. Just like exporting or "saving as" from any other application you can direct it where to save the file. I on a daily basis export from FCPX to the desktop. I use "command e" and keep the file in it's native form mat for the most part.

However, the presets in "Share" have specific places they put the file that you can not change. For instance if you select Youtube, it puts the transcoded file temporarily into cache, uploads it to youtube and then deletes it from the cache. Others go into your iTunes library. You can create presets in Compressor (with the desktop as a destination) and import them into Final Cut X to accomplish what you are trying to do.

I generally export out a master file (no transcoding) and then drop it into compressor so I have more control over where it goes and what setting I'm using.

5. steve123 macrumors regular

Look within the same drive you have your FCP X project in. In the "Final Cut Projects" directory, select your project and within the project, there is a "share" directory. Look in there for your exported movie. Alternatively, open iTunes and select the genre "Home Movies". Select your movie, right click and select "show in finder".

6. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Why are you posting this question in a thousand different threads even though you get the the same answer over and over?

My advice to you would be this: don't dive headfirst into software in which you don't know the basics. From the urgency of your post and the fact that you're posting this in many different places, it's clear that you have an important project that you need to export in a timely fashion. If the project is time-sensitive and even relatively important, you probably should have stuck to something much simpler (like iMovie) and graduated to FCX when you were 100% confident you knew the program.

There are hundreds of resources out there that will teach you the basics (YouTube videos, lengthy step-by-step instructions, and other sites like Lynda.com). Learn the program first before you use it for important projects.

Not trying to be hard on you, just a friendly tip.