Final Cut Pro X Problems.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by xreyuk, May 10, 2012.

1. xreyuk macrumors member

Hey guys,

Recently got a copy of this, but am having a pretty bad issue.

I have an .avi file which I am downloading from here

I am then using Compressor to convert it to a ProRes file, so that Final Cut Pro can work with it. (I've been told that Final Cut won't work with .AVI files)

When I import it into Final Cut, the preview screen won't work whatsoever, it just stays black, even when the video is fully imported. As soon as I try to play it, Final Cut Pro freezes and I have to force quit it.

The rest of the program seems to work fine.

Firstly, does anyone know why it might be doing this and what I can try to solve it?

Secondly, if I can't solve it, can anyone recommend an alternative program I can use?

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

One thing to keep in mind is that .AVI is a file container and it could be using one of dozens of video codecs. Final Cut will work with .AVI files (although it will probably complain about it being "unoptimized" media) as long its underlying codec is one that it understands. Of course, it's always best to edit in ProRes...

Does the transcoded ProRes file (the one that came out of Compressor) play okay in Quicktime? I just did a test conversion to ProRes 422 on the file you linked and it plays fine on my end. It also imports and plays fine in both FCP 7 and X on my system.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I convert AVI to MOV or MP4 and never have problems using that in Final Cut.