Final Cut Pro X question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Top1Dog525, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Top1Dog525 macrumors newbie

Top1Dog525

I am thinking of purchasing Final Cut Pro X, however, I noticed that Apple is saying that a new version of Final Cut Pro is coming soon; tweaked and refined to take advantage of the new Mac Pros increased specs. I am unsure how Apple does updates and upgrades for their software so I was wanting to know:

If I purchase Final Cut Pro X and a new version comes out, example Final Cut Pro 11, will I be able to update my Final Cut Pro X to the new version? Or will I have to purchase the newer version? :confused:

Like I said, I am unsure of how Apple handles their software sales and updates. Any information would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks

2. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

You can do a ton with FCP X, you should be able to get some type of upgrade from Apple since you'd own the software FCP X.

Here is a video I edited recently on FCP X.

https://vimeo.com/64052220

3. onekerato macrumors regular

In my humble opinion...

The FCPX update at end of year is expected to be performance & user-interface tuned for the new Mac Pro (since it supports 3 4k displays), and I expect it would be a free update. I don't see them launching a FCP 11, given that Apple still needs FCPX to gain mindshare. And hairsplitting the WWDC2013 keynote, Phil does say engineers are "hard at work on a version of Final Cut Pro X" :)

FCPX is only sold through the Mac App Store, and there is currently no provision for paid software upgrades. We're unlikely to see rollout of a crucial feature like paid upgrades on MAS without at least a 6-months heads-up for developers. They could do an in-app purchase for new features in FCPX but that's unlikely because right now FCPX needs all the goodwill it can get.

On a related note, Apple is also working on new iWork versions for Mac and iOS for end of this year - and I expect these will be zero-cost upgrades too. These apps are meant to be fully iCloud synced across Mac/iOS/Web and if users are on multiple versions, it will be painful for Apple's engineers to ensure reliable iCloud sync. The hassle-free solution is to offer free upgrades to the latest & greatest version of iWork apps.

Also, I don't see why Apple charges for Mountain Lion when it doesn't charge for iOS. I think it makes around $200 mn a year from ML sales (28 mn OS X shipped less 18 million Macs sold per year with OS X preinstalled is 10 mn actually sold on MAS x $20 per unit). That's around 0.1% of Apple's projected $180 bn annual revenue! If Apple makes OS X Mavericks free, it can sidestep all the iCloud and sandboxing-related quibbles in OS X Lion and ML, and get on with proper integration between iOS 7 and Mac OS X Mavericks.

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Is this really your video?? I am very impressive!! I must admit I am jealous! :apple:

5. IC3D macrumors regular

IC3D

Yes it is. Glad you enjoyed it. All done with FCP X.

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

So not from other programs such as old Shake and Matador or any advanced professional software? :apple:

7. rei101 macrumors 6502a

Where did you hear that?

8. Top1Dog525 thread starter macrumors newbie

Top1Dog525

Go to Apple.com, Select Mac, Choose Applications and then choose Final Cut Pro X... scroll down and there is a section that shows the new Mac Pro and says

"The New Mac Pro is coming later this year.
    And so is a new version of Final Cut Pro X"

9. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Phil Schiller mentioned it from stage during the WWDC opening day keynote.

10. rei101 macrumors 6502a

You mentioned originally "Final Cut Pro", not "Final Cut Pro X", different software.

"I am thinking of purchasing Final Cut Pro X, however, I noticed that Apple is saying that a new version of Final Cut Pro is coming soon;"

That is why I was asking.

11. Top1Dog525 thread starter macrumors newbie

Top1Dog525

Sorry about that, I didn't even notice that i had left out the X... my bad :D