Final Cut Pro X vs. iMovie '11

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kjs2447, Jun 24, 2011.

1. kjs2447 macrumors newbie

I just heard about Final Cut Pro X and watched the first "hands-on" video about it. Also, I saw that it was very similar to the iMovie interface. I currently have iMovie '09. I was wondering if I should wait for a new version of iLife (or buy iLife '11) or if I should but Final Cut Pro X sooner? I also currently have Final Cut Express 4.

Thanks in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

What are your video editing needs? Do iMovie or FCE suffice them? And btw, iMovie '11 was released in the Autumn of last year and there will probably no iMovie '12, more like an iMovie '13 next year.
    FCP X is still in its infancy, so you may encounter some problems using it.

3. kjs2447 thread starter macrumors newbie

Both programs are more than enough for my needs. But as time goes on, the demand gets higher and the effects get boring after a while. The movies made with iMovie don't look as professional as they used to...

I wasn't expecting an iMovie '12 either. You're right about the Final Cut Pro X infancy. It just seems much easier to use than Final Cut Express...

BTW, thanks for replying so quickly.

4. alirod macrumors newbie

I would personally stick with Final Cut Express 4. If you like iMovie and want to get more features (for a expensive price) get FCP X.