final cut pro

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by marvin*1*2, Nov 25, 2008.

1. marvin*1*2 macrumors member

marvin*1*2

hey all

i'm just starting with fcp as i am supposed to start giving support on it in a couple of days :eek: and i got two questions to start with, any help is greatly appreciated.

1 what is a good forum site for fcp and final cut studio products (apart from this one :) )

2 i'm reading a book about fcp but i just cannot quite get what the difference is between the viewer and the canvas windows. can you pls explain in simple lingo?

tak!

2. iJED DV macrumors member

iJED DV

1. Try the forums over a Creative Cow (http://forums.creativecow.net/forums.php) and/or The DV Show (http://www.thedvshow.com/ask/) Also check out the LA Final Cut User Group Forum (http://www.lafcpug.org/forum.html).

2. The Viewer allows you to view a specific clip, whether it be from your bin or something you've double-clicked from the timeline. It allows you to see the filters and other effects applied as well as lets you adjust properties of the video.

The Canvas shows you what the output of the timeline will look like with all the layers of video.

Hope that helps!

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

1. I really like http://forums.creativecow.net/, Ken Stone's Final Cut Pro, and the good old fashioned Final Cut Pro Discussion boards at Apple.

2. First off, good job in picking up a book and teaching yourself. There's a lot of info to learn and it's good to see that you are taking the initiative. As a suggestion I would read through the Final Cut Pro manual (unlike other software manuals, this one is actually really good), and maybe pick up some of the Apple Pro Training manuals. I've read through a few of the Pro Training manuals from my local library and have found them to be very helpful.

About the Viewer and Canvas: Think of the Canvas as your finished product and the Viewer as a preview window. The Canvas plays what you have committed to a sequence (what you have placed in the timeline) and the Viewer plays clips that you want to preview in order to decide whether you want them in the Canvas or not. When you double click a clip it opens in the Viewer where you can set in and out points. When you are satisfied with the in and out points, you can 'drag' the video in the viewer to the Canvas window to place it in your timeline in a variety of ways.

Hope that helps.

P-Worm

4. marvin*1*2 thread starter macrumors member

marvin*1*2

thanks for your answers you two, greatly appreciated!
    things are getting ever more clear! :p

i worked with adobe premiere some 40000yrs ago (boy things have improved, especially performance-wise)

i am actually working through the Final Cut Pro manual but some stuff i find a bit hard to understand the way it is phrased (written by people too close to the geeks who made this sw, maybe)

the apple pro training manuals are out of my budget range (0 - 0$)...
    i was actually looking for some downloadable trainingvideos but couldn't find any so far.

5. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I learned a lot from eric meek. he has a youtube channel with all kinds of tutorials about final cut studio. search for emeek77 in channels on youtube. His "company" is fazylucker. I believe that's his youtube account. I learned almost everything from him.

6. marvin*1*2 thread starter macrumors member

marvin*1*2

hey those videos are great! thanks for that hint, just the sort of thing i was looking for!
    I love to see that the old internet spirit of sharing knowledge altruistically is still alive!

7. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

The viewer is where you watch what you have on the timeline. IT is also to preview what yo edited on the timeline.

The canvas is where you can edit clips individually. You can be more precise with the edits. You double click on a clip in the timeline then you can shorten it or extend it in the canvas.