Final Cut Pro5.1 /Compressor 2 help: Can't export MPEG-2 as 1 file with audio & video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by pillagingwalrus, Aug 11, 2007.

1. pillagingwalrus macrumors newbie

G'day,
    I have a client who requires their TV commercial in MPEG-2 format (both audio and video as one file). I attempted to export from FCS 5.1 using Compressor 2 but I was only able to produce two separate files (one for video one for audio).

Someone in a previous thread was having the same problem and was advised to check the box "Multiplexed MPEG-1/Layer 2 Audio". I did this and this produced a single file, but this file was unrecognised by Quicktime with its file type being .m2t.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Cheers

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

See if it'll play in VLC. MPEG-2 is a weird format that quicktime doesn't play with well.

3. pillagingwalrus thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Just for a little more info on that, M2T stands for "MPEG-2 Transport Stream." MPEG-2 video is usually defined for just video. It's kind of irregular to multiplex audio, so not all players support it.

5. -DH macrumors 65816

MPEG-2 can be a transport stream, a program stream a VOB file or a video only file. None of those are "irregular" by any means. DVD-Video isn't an MPEG-2 video file; it consists of MPEG-2 video and MPEG Layer 1 (or Layer 2) audio that have been multiplexed into one as a VOB file. That's what a DVD player will recognize. If you just have an MPEG-2 file on a DVD disc, it doesn't meet the DVD-Video specification.

-DH