Final Cut Render Files

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by magicjames92, Jan 20, 2008.

1. magicjames92 macrumors regular

I have about 5gb worth. Any reason not to delete em? I dunno what they do...

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

If you're done with the project or you won't be going back to it for a while you can delete them, they can always be recreated as long as you haven't deleted your source video or the project files. But depending on what they are it can take a little while to regenerate them.

What they are: As you work with the source video and add things like effects and transitions the render files are created - merging all the elements together. They allow you to watch your work in real time before you export it.

3. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Just wanted to add: make sure you delete them from within Final Cut (Tools -> Render Manager), don't just delete them from your hard drive.

- Martin

4. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

woops. Wat happens if i didnt?

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If FCP was running it might lock up, but other than that you have nothing to worry about.

Lethal

6. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

i looked and mine doesnt have a render management tool.

7. SELFsponsored macrumors newbie

I keep my render scratch set to a different HD. When I have completed a project I simply trash the folder containing all the render files the FCP has completed for the project and have had no problems in doing so.

8. vizfxman macrumors regular

I realize this is an old thread, however, it's relevant to my question and so I'm posting here rather than creating a new thread.

Having said that...

Is it possible to set FC to either render to an external drive or copy the the files from my Mac HD to an external drive for use on another system?

What's happening is that we're editing some footage on two different systems. The footage and the FC project files are on an external drive. Every time the drive is brought to a different system after changes to the edit have been made, we're having to render the sequence to view in real time.

Is there any way to avoid doing this by having the render files included on the external drive?

9. simsaladimbamba

Final Cut Pro > System Settings >> Scratch Disks

[​IMG]

10. vizfxman macrumors regular

Thanks, simsaladimbamba!

Does the FC project file retain this setting? Or would this be set up on each system before opening the project?

If it's the latter, when this setting is done on the remote computer and the project is opened, will FC automatically know to link the proper render files so to avoid all of the re-rendering?

11. simsaladimbamba

As far as I understand, it is not for the project, but as you can add several HDDs to this, FCP will know where to look for the rendered files.