Final Cut Server.....

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jaywilliams, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jaywilliams macrumors newbie

I'm Dying!!

Dying waiting for final cut server to finally be released!
    Ever since it was announced its been perfect for our application, and since then its been delayed, and pushed back and not spoken of at all.

I keep visiting the page on the apple site hoping to see something changed or even the release date of "early 2008" changed!

Anyone heard any news on Final Cut Server, or even can sympathise with the painful wait!?!

:)

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'd say it's likely we'll hear something at this years NAB in a couple weeks.

3. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

You're talking about a new iteration of Final Cut Server, right? Because I distinctly remember seeing Final Cut Server being used in conjunction with an Xsan at a television station I visited..

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Final Cut Server hasn't been released to the general population, although some organizations do have it installed and are essentially beta testing it.

Lethal

5. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Ah, I see.

Well I suppose I'll be glad to see it eventually released to everyone. It certainly looks like an impressive advancement for the Final Cut editing system..

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Hasn't Apple announced their withdrawal from this year's NAB?

7. jaywilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what concerns me...IF Final Cut Server was on track for its "early 2008" release, you would think apple would be all over NAB to announce/show it.

The one video on the apple site loses its reinvigorating effectiveness a little more with each viewing...

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Apple may have pulled out of NAB, but you can be sure that Apple employees are going to be there for the whole week.

If you really NEED FC Server, email Apple. I imagine even when it is fully released, it won't be off the shelf software - so email Apple or better still book a meeting with someone who knows what they're talking about at the Apple store, and tell them all about your setup and workflow and see if they can provide you with a 'solution'. I've heard on the grapevine, that if you really need this software you'll already be using it. Television networks will all already be using it if they need it.

Remember that the Final Cut bigwigs will all be at the Final Cut Pro Supermeet after NAB, so they're the people to talk to if you need it. Get hold of someone's business card and see if they can do anything for you.

9. djdan macrumors newbie

djdan

Final Cut Server Is Here At Last!!!

FINAL CUT SERVER IS HERE AT LAST!!!

They are the words I wanna hear !!!.

Gotcha Jay...
    Daniel

10. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Oh crap, that's right. I forgot that Apple pulled from NAB. Not exactly encouraging, is it? Bummer.

11. jaywilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

It's interesting to hear that...we are based in Oz so NAB is a little out of the question unfortunately, however last year at SMPTE here in oz we did indeed speak with apple and had a meeting with them discussing final cut server and a media server setup.

No one has suggested it may be possible to get our hands on it, but they know we will pick it up as soon as its out and in fact we are desperate for it or a solution in our environment.

Maybe they were waiting till we went ahead with the media servers...

Oh and thanks Dan...:p

12. rkaynan macrumors newbie

Final Cut Server

What is this all about? I'm a final cut user and haven't heard about this.

13. lfielder06 Guest

I'm with you I have never seen this. It seems like this is used for businesses that have multiple computers that use final cut. It is easy to share media and final cut files between computers. I could be wrong, but this is my understanding from viewing the little clip on apple's site.

14. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

15. minasmorgul macrumors newbie

Final Cut Server is based on a product called Artbox made by a small company called Proximity. Maybe part of the reason that Apple won't have a booth at NAB, is because they essentially abandoned all of Proximity's Artbox clients, and left them sucking on rocks for support and product fixes. That, and the fact that Final Cut Server has been delayed for so long, and might not make it for release in April. Apple will be in for a somewhat rude awakening when they turn around and look for that "stamp of approval" from broadcasters.