Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bottleddissent

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Hey, I know some companies don't make the education versions of their programs so you can't just upgrade them--you have to buy a whole shebang again, and I was wondering if anyone knew if the new Final Cut Studio was like that too.

I realize that they don't make educational upgrades, just full versions, but someday when i'm no longer a student and they release an upgrade i'm going to want to be able to just buy the upgrade.

So, should am I going to have to spring for the full version of Studio 2, or can I get by with the educational? Thanks a bunch!

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
You can't upgrade the Educational version.

Apple was offering the cross grade licenses for a while to go to the Intel Software version. When you did this, they gave you the retail disks / license, but that offer ended about a month before the new FCS introduction.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
yea you can't upgrade the academic. Which IMO stinks cause i would upgrade but buying it again seems pointless. What am i going to do do with the "old" studio package. I could sell it but i prob won't get much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.