Final Cut Studio 2: Important issue?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by u.schmidt86, May 17, 2008.

1. u.schmidt86 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

i´m seriously considering buying one of the FINAL CUT STUDIO 2 ACADEMIC versions.

Does anybody of you know what´s telling the FC-Studio to be an academic version? Is it just the serial?

2. -DH macrumors 65816

The serial number, the part number used by Apple and the Final Cut Studio System ID file that gets installed on your system ... all of those indicate an academic version. There may be others as well.

-DH

3. DrRock macrumors regular

^

Am I right in understanding that the functionality of the software is the same as the professional version? The guy at the Mac store said it was. He just said the the academic version cannot be used to produce any programming for profit. Strictly for academic & personal use.

How would they know, and who would enforce that rule?

4. -DH macrumors 65816

As far as I know, there is no provision in the software licensing agreement prohibiting the type of work you produce using an academic version or whether or not you're compensated for that work.

The only restrictions that I'm aware of are that you are required to be a valid student or instructor and that the software cannot be upgraded (but can be updated withing that version). But don't trust me ... read the licensing agreement for yourself.

And yes, the software is functionally the same as the regular retail version.

-DH

5. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

From what I know, I don't think there's any restriction on what purposes you're using it for. It works just like the regular version, but you can't purchase upgrades later on (which I'm kicking myself for because I'll end up spending more money down the road...)

6. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

The software is exactly the same as the retail version. I bought the academic version (my wife is a teacher) to learn on. It's upgradable within the same version #, but once they go to a full version update (FCS 3), you would need to buy it again. You wouldn't be able to upgrade to the next full version for a discount.

7. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

With the expensive prices of the upgrades, skip a couple versions and then buy FCS again with a student/teacher discount (if you can).

Regardless, it's easy to skip new upgrades and hardly notice it. I mean really, how much do I really use the open format timeline? I think it gets messy and difficult when I throw all sorts of different formats into the same timeline, especially when it comes time to export and run through compressor.

8. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Yes... And while we are at it, who could really benefit from useless things such as professional color grading, surround sound support, Motion master templates, or 3D graphics in motion, to name just a few?

Everybody has to assess the value of a particular upgrade for themselves. I just think that this particular case - FCS to FCS2 - was a pretty valuable upgrade that I would not want to have missed.

- Martin

9. Mr B macrumors member

Mr B

Yeah, if skipping the upgrades works for the individual then that is great, but consider not only the new features of each upgrade, but how easy is it to share projects with other FCP systems. If you're on different versions and aren't up to date that can be a pain. And as said before, the upgrades sometimes effect the other programs such as Motion and soundtrack much more. I can't imagine Motion without 3D now.

10. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

A huge plus for me with FCS2 is the new Log and Transfer feature in FCP6. It's great if you're working with a solid state/digital magazine camera (like a Panasonic HVX or the RED One).

11. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

Hi Martin:

No need for the rude sarcasm. I gave my examples, and it stands as a reason to get Academic versus the regular license. As you said, everyone weighs those, and I gave my opinion. Next time, give yours without the rude sarcasm. Just cause we don't talk face to face doesn't mean we should be needlessly rude with each other.

12. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Wow I cannot believe how many people on the forums are misusing software licenses & condoning such misuse. Adobe & Apple, as well as most others clearly state in the student license agreements that the software cannot be used for commercial purposes.
    Any use as a professional & getting paid from it is Piracy. The reason for the discount is so that students can learn the packages well enough to go into the professional world & Buy the professional version, so that they can be competent & make some money.
    Student version = Student work Not paid.
    Professional Version = Professional work Paid $.
    Student version for Professional work = Scamming Pirating Cheap SOB, taking $ From Apple software R&D.

13. willywilly99 macrumors newbie

He just said the the academic version cannot be used to produce any programming for profit. Strictly for academic & personal use.

14. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

I don't think anyone here is attempting to cheat the licenses intentionally. And for the matter, it is not "piracy;" it's a different issue entirely, whether right or wrong, but it is not piracy.

I haven't read the clause because I don't have the academic version, but I doubt it's so clear and cut; sometimes there are niche issues that come up that make it difficult to just give clear positions for/against. Depending on the language of the license, it may be entirely legal and fair to use it to earn money on student projects. Not all student work = not paid.

I think to intelligently discuss that particular issue any further, we need to see a copy of the license (though it may not be legal to distribute the license wording separate from the software, such as posting it on a messageboard).

15. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

And that has absolutely nothing to do with the question I answered. I was thinking in terms of what benefits exist when upgrading to the newest version FCS. Jeesh...

I find it funny how this thread has become a software license policing discussion...

16. Help! macrumors regular

The adobe license does not restrict you to unpaid work