Final Cut Studio 2 - MacBook Pro (Penryn)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bananac, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Bananac macrumors member

Hello,

I am planning to buy MacBook Pro 2.4GHz(Penryn), 15.1" Screen, 4GB RAM, 200GB HDD and nVidia 8600M GT 256 RAM.

I will get Final Cut Studio 2 and I want to know can i run Color with this computer ?
    I have Apple 23" Cinema Display and i will use it as secondary display.

I am running Color on my Hackintosh C2D and works great.

Please help, this is realy important!!!

Thank You

2. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

I don't know about Color, but on a side note are you ordering the RAM upgrade from Apple? If so, I would suggest thinking about getting RAM elsewhere like crucial.com or newegg.com. You could pay $400 to Apple for the RAM or about $100 at Crucial. Maybe even less other places.

3. rsbell macrumors regular

rsbell

Definitely get the ram elsewhere.

I ordered 4GB from newegg.com for under $100 for my new MBP.

4. Bananac thread starter macrumors member

Im not buying RAM from Apple :p

5. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

Ah! Good!
    Sorry I can't help you with your original Color question.

6. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

People are so helpless, from Apple's System Requirements page

Now, keep in mind, the page is a little old, but since the new 15" uses the same card the old 17" used, you're good to go.

7. LVdustin macrumors regular

I am using a First Gen Intel Core Duo 2.0ghz Macbook Pro, and have the Final Cut Studio 2 installed on my computer, I have to admit, that everything runs perfectly, Color is a very lite program and it runs quickly and efficiently. You will have no problem at all with your new Macbook Pro running any of the FCS applications.

8. pixanator44 macrumors newbie

MacBookPro and Fincal Cut Studio

all final cut studio apps should run ok on an MbP. But a 15 inch screen is too small. Even a 17 inch is too small but you're better off going for it rather than wasting $$ on a 15 inch. Check with Apple Pro sales to make sure. I think they'll agree that you're better off with a 17 inch. ALSO: make sure you get the best possible graphics card. The standard card issued with the MBP may not be sufficient. This is even more important to consider than screen size.

9. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Notice he said he'll be using a 23" ACD in conjunction with the 15" MBP screen, thats plenty enough real estate.

Also, while the mid level 15" would definitely perform better, it isn't nessessary, the 256mb card will be more than enough.

10. Mantasis macrumors member

What?! I thought the MBP could run any multimedia program no problem!

That salesperson lied to me...I guessing the ability to use it as a defibrillator was a lie too...:mad:

11. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

Any current MBP will run any program on the market, and with a few exceptions (Maya and CAD apps) runs them all quite well.

12. Bananac thread starter macrumors member

13. gpost86 macrumors newbie

I'm bumping this thread because i have a similar question. I'm looking to get a Macbook Pro ( http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTIzMDY ) that I can run Final Cut Studio on (all programs). Since I just graduated from college, I am obviously a bit tight for cash. So the most economical solution is best - but I've heard the best choice is the 15 inch 2.66GHz because of the discrete graphics card.

Thoughts?

14. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

The mid 15" MBP is probably the best way to go. But if you want to save some cash, the base 15" will work just fine.

The only problems you'll run into is that Motion 2 will complain because you aren't running a discrete graphics card. But the 9400M is far more powerful than the old integrated graphics, you shouldn't run into troubles with either 15" MBP. But if you won't be doing a ton of work with Motion or PSD CS4, you don't necessarily need to fork out the extra $400 for the discrete graphics.