Final Cut Studio 2 RAM NEEDED???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cecilworsley, Apr 16, 2008.

1. cecilworsley macrumors newbie

Hello everbody i have the final cut studio 2 suite and i have been using motion quite a bit lately (and plan to use on a daily bases) and i have the macbook pro 2.4 santa rosa with 2 gig. i am probobly going to purchase some ram from crucial (because of this promblem). but i am posting this because i want to make sure my promblem is no more than a ram issue. so here is what happens: i am in to a motion project and the more i add the longer i use it the lagyer it gets. this will even happen if there is nothing else open but motion. istat reports that my free free fam usage is 20ish mb if not 0. the page out is reported as 0 some times yet this changes all the time. obviously this gets worse and worse especially if i have Photoshop open and/or FCP ( i need to be able to have both Final Cut Pro open and Motion).
    So i need someone will just tell me weather i have a ram promblem or there is some thing else that i am not doing right.:apple:

Cecil
    MBP 2.4 2 gig:apple:

2. -DH macrumors 65816

I'd say the most, if not all of your problem is low RAM, especially when running more than one application. Other possible causes may be due to your video card.

-DH

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

RAM is going to help, but I bet it's your videocard. Motion is a program that loves a good video card and does most of its work with it. Unfortunately for you, you are on a laptop and upgrading the video card isn't easy at all.

RAM will help you, but I doubt it will solve the problem.

P-Worm

4. cecilworsley thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but the machine that i have had a great video card in my opinion. it is the nVidea 8600 gt m with 256mb does this change your responses knowing this? all so it is a pro product it is ment to handle this kind of work.

5. cpcarrot macrumors member

1st RAM will help, although it will not necessarily solve the problem.

2nd if you can find a way of running Motion without needing the other programs open this will also help. A lot!

Finally it would be helpful to have some idea what you are doing. Is it HD or SD? Lots of particle effects? These things have major impacts on the performance issues.

6. cecilworsley thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunatly i am working with SD video. In my lastest project i had just two partical effects Spouts and then Magic Wand and even with these two i am having lag together they last about 4 seconds max. if i try to lengthen there time then it will take a few min to get it right because of the lag. now what do you think?:apple: