Final Cut Studio 2 - Upgrade requires Studio 1?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheBMill, Aug 14, 2007.

1. TheBMill Guest

Hello,

With a student discount I can get the "full" version of Final Cut Studio 2 for 699.99. Or I can upgrade my Studio 1 (which I bought at a student discount years ago) for 499.99. I've read conflicting reports on the upgrading process.

I want to do a clean install of Studio 2. Because my hard drive needs to be reformatted anyways. But, I'm confused if I need to install my Studio 1 discs and then install studio 2 overtop it. That's not something I really want to do. OR if the process of upgrading is more like this: You install studio 2 and they ask for your old registration keys, then you enter them and that's it. I take it the discs are the same as the full versions, they just have another layer of menus in regards to getting the info about my old version?

Please let me know!

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

You Missed Your Chance To Upgrade To FCS 1 UB Commercial For $49

If you bought Studio 1 "years ago" then you didn't buy Studio 1 Universal Binary (UB). It only shipped in April of last year 2006. There was an upgrade to Studio 1 UB from FCP 4/4.5HD, PPC parts of Production Suite and PPC FCP 5 that ran from last April until March 20, 2007. That upgrade was $199 and took all Academic copies to Commercial FCS 1 UB. Now Any Academic Final Cut Pros or Studio 1 - even if it's the older PPC version may NOT be converted to Commercial and are not qualified for the upgrade price of $499 from FCS 1.

If you are still Academic, you may purchase the Academic FCS 2 for $699 without any hope of future upgrading to commercial FCS 3 in a couple of years for less than another $699 academic or $1299 commercial.

You missed a really valuable window of opportunity. From the April 2005 PPC FCS 1 Academic to FCS 1 UB Commercial was $49 for almost an entire YEAR April 2006 until March 20, 2007. Huge oversight on your part. :( Sorry. the offer was on the table 3 months beyond when Apple said they would end it December 20, 2006. Not much excuse for overlooking it.

3. TheBMill thread starter Guest

That sucks.

Speaking of old G5s. Is it even worth it to upgrade to 2.0 if I'm using the last generation G5 before they switched to intel?

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

You Should Get A Mac Pro

It' worth it. The Color application that comes with it was $25,000 before Apple bought the company and rolled it into FCS 2 for no additional cost. If you have serious editing to do then you should get a Mac Pro with FCS 2.

Only Quad G5 can run fast enough for Apple Pro Res 422. All other G5's can only use AIC. So the Mac Pro is pretty important from that point of view.

What G5 do you have?

5. TheBMill thread starter Guest

I have the dual 2.5GHZ PowerPC G5, 4GB ram, OS 10.4, ATI Radeon 9600 XT

Curious as to what you think!

6. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Sell It For Under $2k And Buy A MP

Depends on your load. If you can sell it for almost $2k and buy a Quad 2.66GHz MP you'd be much better off.

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

why? you should be able to get $2000 for it