Final Cut Studio 2 Upgrade - Worth It?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tri3limited, Sep 5, 2008.

1. tri3limited macrumors 6502

At this moment in time, is it at all worth purchasing the FCS2 upgrade (from FCS1)?

As many predict NAB 2009 should see the release of FCS3, however Apple aren't listed to appear at the 2009 event, and blanked 2008 as it wasn't commercially viable.

If we got the updae now it could be another £400 update in April but I utilize FCP6 and Motion3 a lot and need to justify a work purchase. The Apple site alone doesn't sell it from a business stand point unfortunately.

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

I think FCS2 is a great upgrade from FCS1... It would make sense that Apple will introduce FCS3 next spring. However, that doesn't mean that you need to upgrade 7-8 months from now when it comes out. If you need FCP6 and Motion 3, then I'd say go with the upgrade now. Then, when FCS3 comes out, decide whether that is a worthwhile upgrade.

3. tri3limited thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats a great point... I like to upgrade stuff asap and all my freelancing shiz is the latest however since joining this company they are a little behind the times (only 3GB in a Mac Pro??).

I think best way to go about it is to not tell the big man with the money about an update and surprise him nearer the time!!

Thanks for the advice!

[Problem solved, can be archived]