Final Cut Studio 2 vs. Adobe Production Premium

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Chris7, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Chris7 macrumors 6502

I got Final Cut Studio 2 recently, and am still learning it. I really like FCP so far, but I recently checked out Adobe After Effects and noticed that they had some seemingly impressive packages. I had not seriously considered Adobe Premier Pro when choosing FCP, but perhaps it works well in the Production Premium package.

I don't mind adding After Effects to the FCS, but I'm hoping I started out with the right core editor. I really don't want to learn another one. Someone please tell me that Final Cut Studio is vastly superior, what features it has that the Adobe package does not.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Are you doing this as a hobby or as a career? If you are doing it as a career are you a one man band or would you need to work w/other people/post houses to do the final touches to your audio and video? Do you do a lot of motion gfx and/or compositing that would make the tighter integration in the Adobe suite worth while? Are you planning on dropping a few grand down the line to be able to take advantage of Apple Color?

There is no 'vastly superior' overall. The vast majority of things you can do w/the Adobe suite you can do w/the Apple suite and vice-versa. Something things are easier in one than the other but until you start pushing boundaries, or require specific workflows, it's more of a moot point. If you are a student and looking at post production as a career I'd pick up a student copy of Avid Media Composer. It's only a few hundred bucks and knowing Avid and FCP is highly recommend if this is going to be your career.

Lethal

3. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does Adobe have an open format timeline, their own codec (so I don't have to edit direct from AVCHD), and way to smooth out jerky camera footage?

I didn't realize how much was in the Adobe suite. I guess I should ask, besides Color, what does Final Cut Studio 2 have that Adobe Production Premium does not? Is FCP itself easier to use than Adobe Premier Pro?

Not yet, but would like to. Really curious about animation, but I hear there's a huge learning curve there. Will FCP integrate OK with the Adobe suite as long as I get the video into After Effects?

4. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

I used premier pro until recently i got Final cut studio and ive been using FCP. I think learning Adobe Premier pro is much easier than final cut pro. However, if you have time and get some of experience with FCP, it turns out to be better. I prefer FCP. Once you learn everything, it becomes so much more powerful that Adobe Premier and their are so many more things you can do on FCP. One thing i noticed is that it is a little bit harder to be creative on FCP than Adobe Premier.

Good thing is, Adobe After Effects works well with FCP.

Both suites are very powerful. I think Final Cut Studio is more complete.

5. Chris7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sounds like you have some experience here. Any examples would be helpful. Is FCP harder to learn simply because there's more you can do with it, or do you feel the program is unnecessarily difficult to learn? What is more powerful about FCP? You say it's harder to be creative with FCP. If I combine After Effects with FCP, is this still the case?

Again, I like FCP so far, I just realize I did not fully explore my options before buying.

Many thanks.

6. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

Don't get me wrong on this, i am still an avid FCP user. When i mean that it is easier to be more creative on adobe premier pro i mean that it is much easier for applying effects. I have a macbook pro and when i work with effects in FCP, you always have to render the clip. Which is really annoying, because it distracts your workflow.

I worded my self wrong. There is really very minimal difference amongst the two programs. I think it is harder to get into the workflow of FCP than adobe premier pro but on the other hand if you do i think it is much more easier to use than adobe premier because it is much more cleaner. And then there is CS4 the new version of Premier. Still haven't checked out what is new. No doubt the integration between after effects and photoshop will be better with Adobe premier, but it integrates smoothly on FCP also.

I think the best way is to edit the same video in both programs and see what you like best.